How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Audio conferencing not letting attendees into the teams meeting Unless they are authenticated by the Teams app

We have been experiencing a bit of a problem since last week and honestly at this point I am not really sure whether it has to do with some of the new teams policy features in teams or it is actually a tech. problem.

Basically as of last week when a user creates a meeting (with dialins) in the Teams addon in Outlook and he/she tries to join the meeting as the meeting host via phone the other invitees are just stuck in the lobby forever, as if the host never joined.

On the other hand, when the host joins with the Teams Client for Windows he/she can admit the users from lobby to the call (as expected).

The thing is that we have tested the same with skype for business outlook addin and it works as expected: meeting participants join -> stay in lobby until the host joins -> host joins via phone -> everyone is admitted.

i contacted Microsoft Support and they said that the only way to admit users in the lobby was using the teams app. This is crazy in all other phone conferencing systems when the host joins with their pin it admits everyone into the meeting. They said that the only way do get around this was to let anonymous users start the meeting and to automatically admit every one.

Can i request that when using audio conferencing that you do not need the Teams app to allow users in and that simply typing the host pin in should be enough.

197 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Oliver Wolfendale shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    needs your feedback  ·  AdminAlex (Admin, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi There – First of all, we are so sorry that you are experiencing this issue. The engineering team is investigating and some information from users experiencing this would be super helpful.

If you are willing, can you please send the following to teamsml@microsoft.com?

1) How the meeting was scheduled – thru Outlook or Teams app
    2) The join link + dial-in # shown in the meeting invitation
    3) What time the issue occurred, and repro steps
    4) Actual & expected results

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this quickly. Thanks so much!

~ Alex

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Yam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audio conferencing in Teams doesn't work if all participants are dialing in by PSTN. Obviously this is not a feature request, this is a bug. Please provide an update of this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a similar issue. I have an Audio Conferencing License applied. I don't want recipients to use or sign into Teams. Just call the conference bridge, enter the ID number, then be on the call. As the leader, I cannot enter the PIN if someone else joins first. Also, if I am on first and enter the PIN, no one can hear each other. (Never had a problem with this on Skype for Business.)

Going to try the custom policy approach shared in this thread.

• CB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on @Mike Russell's post I did some digging and was able to get this working by creating a custom policy and applying that to the appropriate users. Note: This DID NOT work when editing the default policy.

Create a Teams policy through PowerShell with the following settings:
        1. AllowPSTNUsersToBypassLobby True,
        2. AllowOrganizersToOverrideLobbySettings True
        3. AutoAdmittedUsers Everyone
        4. AllowAnonymousUsersToStartMeeting True

Results:
        1. Organizer joins through phone, puts meeting organizer PIN in: Attendees are admitted right away.
        2. User from organization joins with Teams client: Attendees are admitted right away.
        3. Attendee joins by phone before anyone in organization joins or organizer dials in: Waits in the lobby

Managing Teams with PowerShell - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-overview

We are experiencing the same issue, and by the looks of this thread it's been happening for quite some time. I don't know if it is related, but recently changed over to a different instance of Teams because we were acquired by another company. We did not have the issue until the migration to the new company instance.

• Randy B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We are testing here at my Org, this is still a a problem.

1) Scheduled through Outlook with Teams plugin
        2) Yes the join link and dial-in # are shown in the invite.
        3) 3/14/2019 10AM-1015AM, I dial in as attendee and am in lobby, host dials in uses host code,starts meeting
        4) I am stuck in lobby until host launches Teams app and start meeting

• Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also experiencing the same issue, everyone is stuck in the lobby!! Hope this get s sorted out soon

• Josiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is insane it has not been fixed yet? MS where are you at with this?

• Tony Kramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also experiencing this issue and it's forcing us to another conferencing solution. It's a wonderful thing to discover during a deployment that is intended to replace several disjoint solutions that something as basic as dial-in conferencing does not work as the documentation states it does.

• Mike Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? According to this Technet article (which states it applies to Teams as well as SfB):

"All participants that join the meeting via dial-in before the organizer starts will be placed in the lobby and will listen to music on hold. Once the organizer starts it by inputting his or her Audio Conferencing PIN, all participants in the lobby will automatically join the meeting."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/audio-conferencing-common-questions?toc=/skypeforbusiness/toc.json&bc=/skypeforbusiness/breadcrumb/toc.json#how-does-a-user-schedule-and-start-a-meeting-when-all-attendees-will-be-using-a-phone-to-dial-in

That last part where the users in the lobby are automatically added to the meeting does not happen.

Why is this STILL an issue? MS says they are working on a fix since at least Oct 2018 but people are still getting stuck in the Lobby. There is an option in Skype to "Auto-Admit" people, why can't MS duplicate that functionality? Pushing Teams on us because Skype is going away is one thing. Pushing Teams on us when it doesn't work as well as Skype is something worse. I won't give a green light to extend Teams to our remaining environment (1000+ users) until it functions at least as well as Skype.

• Chris Ratner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing the same issue right now. Very inconvenient to happen during our introductory rollout. I change the global policy and the problem is persisting.

Same scenario reported here by Noor A (Thank you)

scenario
        - user with audio conferencing license enabled
        - user creates a teams meeting using Outlook
        - user invites an external partner via email
        - user calls in the meeting using the phone and conference ID included in the meeting invite
        - user press * then enter PIN to authenticate as 'leader!'
        - user hear music while waiting for partner to join in
        - partner receives the email with a phone # and conference ID
        - partner calls in the phone number and enter the conference ID
        - partner told he/she is waiting in the lobby waiting to be admitted
        - user does NOT receive any alert/notification in the call that someone is waiting to be admitted
        The same issue if the meeting invite was created in Outlook web or MS Teams desktop app, or MS Teams mobile app

I just experienced the same issue. Participants stuck in the lobby and admitting is not working.

• Earl Beede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I schedule a meeting in Teams but am on the road to start it. I call in, enter my leader pin, and everyone else is stuck in the lobby. I have changed the global policy to even let people in automatically and they are still stuck in the lobby.

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having this issue as well. When I dial into a Teams meeting and enter my PIN, the other participants are still stuck in the lobby. They are only admitted when I go into the Teams app and admit them there. When I create a Skype meeting and enter my PIN, the meeting starts as expected. This is unacceptable for many of my users who only use the phone for their audio conferences - they will not be able to use Teams if they cannot admit everyone from the phone. I'm aware that there's a tenant setting that will allow all dial-in participants to bypass the lobby, but we would like to avoid that for security reasons.

• Noor A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue

scenario
        - user with audio conferencing license enabled
        - user creates a teams meeting using Outlook
        - user invites an external partner via email
        - user calls in the meeting using the phone and conference ID included in the meeting invite
        - user press * then enter PIN to authenticate as 'leader!'
        - user hear music while waiting for partner to join in
        - partner receives the email with a phone # and conference ID
        - partner calls in the phone number and enter the conference ID
        - partner told he/she is waiting in the lobby waiting to be admitted
        - user does NOT receive any alert/notification in the call that someone is waiting to be admitted

The same issue if the meeting invite was created in Outlook web or MS Teams desktop app, or MS Teams mobile app

any resolution

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My user account is set for Teams Only. If I create the meeting in Teams or Outlook in Windows, everyone will have to wait until I log into the meeting via Teams or via PSTN with leader PIN.

If I launch my Outlook app on android and create the meeting with Skype meeting switch enabled, there is no lobby and people can start without me.

• Carlos Guzman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having the same issue with MS Teams. Meeting attendees who use the meeting phone number and code are kept waiting in the lobby until they are admitted by the meeting organizer. We tried scheduling the meeting both through Outlook and through Teams. It can be a disruptive limitation, specially when the meeting includes a large number of attendees.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base