How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Teams Presence should be 'real-time'.

Having presence delays of up to 4 minutes makes presence largely useless. Having to resort back to typing 'are you free now' after calls, because I can't tell if they are still in the meeting, or have started another meeting or call. Or trying to call somebody and get rejected and a message saying "I'm in a call"

321 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Graham Cropley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminAlex (Admin, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

A fix for this is being worked on. We hope to have a fix in internal Microsoft rings soon for testing. I don’t have a timeline for release externally at this point, but will keep you posted.

Thanks!

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometime I have seen presence like "Yesterday" instead of Offline or Online etc.

Why is that?

• Arun Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presence is not the real-time based in Teams app, Skype for business was accurate in terms of presence but MS Teams app has lot of discrepancy in showing the actual presence. Hope Microsoft team are working to resolve the issue soon.

• RIcardo Havranek Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From our friends at Modality:
        Message: I cannot easily tell if someone is engaged in a call before I call them. This used to be much more obvious in Lync and SfB. I'd like to see the user's "in a call" status be made much more obvious. I feel that SfB allowed you to make presence-based decisions much more easily.

• Peter Vasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of presence is to see if someone is available at that point in time, if it isn't real time, it becomes worthless noise.

• Iain Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This requirement/issue needs shuffling to the top of the pile to rectify as it creating frustration plus the perception that the product is of poor quality.

• Garry Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that laggy presence info really does make the feature useless - people need to be able to make real-time decisions based on ... real-time presence info.

• Jo Sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems mad that we actively promoted presence as a key feature of Lync and Skype, yet can not trust presence within Teams. Needs to be there real time and promoted.

• jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presence has to be real time. It just doesn't work otherwise.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been bitten so many times by this - would be great to be able to trust that presence is true.

• Ben Donaldson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I've always touted presence as being the most under-rated feature in the Lync / Skype client, the unsung immeasurable hero that did away with the traditional "are they there / aren't they there / are they even in work today" dilemma. Current presence behaviour in Teams is almost bringing that problem back with added confusion.

• Gwyn Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential! Real Time Presence updates should be in place exactly for the reasons mentioned above! Too much time is wasted by sending a message hoping the person is actually available like it says they are to only find out that they are not!

Feedback and Knowledge Base