How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Screen Sharing greyed out for external contacts

Looks like there is no way to share my screen with someone outside my organization. The dedicated button is just greyed out.

Teams shows the following message in the chat window: "... is outside your organization. Some Teams features won't be available"

103 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Julian Bendig shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been on the phone with Microsoft support for hours on this very issue. At the moment, they have the ability to switch accounts to "Island" mode where you can use both Skype and Teams simultaneously. And it seems to work for the moment.

BUT! He mentioned on the phone that the next release will remove the ability for them to choose Island mode, and we will be forced to use Teams only and they will need to be registered as a guest in order to screen share.

This would be ok if *everyone* was migrated, but he also mentioned that larger organizations would not be migrated until a later time. They are force-migrating based on org size.

As an owner of a small consulting firm, we have many clients (and some that have 10,000+ employees) that we need to stay in contact with. Forcing us to MS Teams and disabling our ability to work with our customers is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Either enable MS Teams to screen share with external users (with or without skype) OR allow us to continue to use Islands mode until everyone is migrated to Teams (including large organizations).

ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT??

My organisation was migrated to Teams as well, I lost all my external users (regular Skype) who were part of Skype for Business Groups I am so frustrated. I called Microsoft to restore my Skype functionality. It is supposed to be completed in 24-48 hours. So many things,which are not working. Microsoft?? How can you force people to use a product which is not ready? Microsoft needs to listen!! Otherwise they will lose customers. I have a lot of frustrated clients at the moment. Let's see what will work after Microsoft "restores" my Skype functionality

• Will Arndt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopping in here to voice our frustration as well. How can you forcefully push people to a product like this that is not fully baked???

With the amount of time that Teams has been available and literally 0 development or SfB over the past few years you would think MS could dedicate the resources to implement basic functionality like this...

• Pascal Kröger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its insane that this still does not work.. The workaround for now is creating a teams meeting have the person join the meeting and share the screen there. But this is incredibly annoying if you just want to show something that came up during a call..

• AKArt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this as well ASAP. It's frustrating that so many of these basic features from SfB aren't supported in Teams yet, but our clients are being pushed over to this platform. Doubly frustrating to see what silly features are in development when these basics aren't being addressed.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, let us share screen easily outside an organisation in Teams, why do you push for this when the basics isnt covered? Call, chat and share screen.

• Henrik F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Several of our customers has now been moved over to Teams, and the option to simply share screen with their external partners need to be made available ASAP.
    To time consuming and little user friendly to force this via planned meetings whenever the need shows.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe it.
    you have to create a meeting to share your screen!!!!!

that must be solved soon! I want my good old SfB back :-(

• Steve Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were surprised to find this limitation when we were forced off of Skype for Business. We will need to use another product if there is no workaround, since we regularly have to share our screen with users in external organizations.

• Jenn Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a solution to this problem yet?? I work remotely and this has just put a massive spanner in the works!

• Roger Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Christoph Peuten
    For this reason I had postponed the migration. I hope for you that it can be reversed.
    MS was looking for some guinea pigs?

• Christoph Peuten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have migrated SfB to Teams and we get the message ""XYZ is outside your organization. Some team functions are not available". This is for a consulting company which is working many times remote not a satisfactorily situation.

• Roger Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop pushing me replacing SfB with MS Teams as long as I cannot share my screen easily with external contacts!
    For me the sharing screen & invitation buttons are not greyed out for externals but hidden completely.

We have been using Skype for years and working with partners who are on Teams and the screen share for external users does not work, regardless of what we allow in the external users section under org-wide settings.

This should be a priority if you want migration to Teams

• John Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a new CIO who is keen to deploy Slack. Without desktop sharing for external/federated users, Teams is useless. We may as well abandon Teams and deploy Slack.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.