How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add a Planner Tab using an existing Plan, Problem

Within an existing team I create a channel as a template with Tabs that have specific tasks associated with that plan. I can then create a new channel and add a Planner tab using an existing plan duplicating all the tasks of the "template". this is great except for one problem. When I edit any detail of the new channel plan all those edits are also applied to the template plan and any other plan that I have created in this way. If each duplicate behaved independently of the donor template and all other channels this would allow me to efficiently create new projects without having to recreate each task in a given project.

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Stockwell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thank you!  ·  Warren responded  · 

I want to ensure you were aware that Planner integration does not allow you to make a “copy” of plans. But that is something the feature team is looking into.

In this case, what you are seeing is the same plan in both channels. You are simply pointing to it from two different channels. Therefore if you make a change to one item, in one channel, the changes will also be reflected in the other channel because they are the same plan.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope I was able to provide some clarification for you.
-Warren

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any update to this? I created my plan with the intention of being able to copy the 'template' and use the plan independent of the template only to find out that's not possible. Having the option to copy independently or copy existing is essential.

• Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the other posters, being able to copy a plan, as many projects use the same process, would be integral to improving ease of use of MS Teams and specifically planner. I find often projects have a baseline process flow so being able to duplicate plans, without the interaction or mirroring would be a powerful tool.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are we in this issue regarding copying plans? Do we have an estimated date for release?

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see the benefit of pointing to the same plan from multiple locations, but creating duplicates of the same plan would be great for managing projects that require the same legwork.

Feedback and Knowledge Base