How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add "What's happening today?" Status

Skype for Business has a "What's happening today?" custom status under their name which users can write custom messages such as "Teleworking" or "At Lunch". Teams should have this also.

449 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a client that is being forced into Teams by Office 365, and they are quite upset and mostly because of the lack of custom statuses.

PLEASE add more to the status options! I need lunch/dinner, out sick, in a meeting, sharing my screen, DND, PTO, on vacation, call my cell, and a whole host of others! Allowing for some customization would be ideal.

• John Mark Bojanski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a consulting firm and we use the status/what's happening box to show which clients we are logged into, so we don't kick a teammate out of their session accidentally. This is something we absolutely need in Teams.

• LR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. We use Skype as a 'sign out' board and it would be tough to use Teams, in this way, without the feature.

• Carrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The custom status feature in Skype made up a large part of our company culture. We are entirely virtual and we could feel like we were together.

• Jenna Large commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for statuses in Teams. It's really helpful in a virtual team environment!

• Absoblogginlutely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this extensively with Skype4Business to update my status with what I am working on, whether I am on lunch, away for a break etc.
    A Powershell script automatically grabs the client and subject of a helpdesk ticket and then updates my Skype4Business status.
    The lack of this status in Teams prevents us really adopting Teams as our primary messaging.

Our entire team is remote and most of us also work across two locations. This functionality is critical to our workflow and team dynamic.

• Alistaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently use an app called "Simple In/Out" to track status. The benefit is that it has geofences that automatically check you in when you arrive at the office (if you enable it on your phone), but if Teams provided a took that was pretty simple to use where you could let your coworkers know your status (actually by entering some text), that would be a huge benefit and might help us eliminate the other app. (And less programs/apps that people are required to use and learn = happy employees at our office)

This is actually extremely important for us. We work remotely and need to know if someone has stepped away or is on vacation or is running an errand or is having internet issues, etc.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful to have the Status comment line back, it is a feature our staff had used considerably.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my team are remote. So it is extremely helpful to be able to give status updates, not just what is on the outlook calendar. Sometimes I'm on a phone call or taking lunch and I want people to know specifically why I'm not responding.

• Sreedhar Reddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently on Slack and the only reason why we cant shift to Teams is the lack of ability to setup custom status message. This will be a great addition for companies like us that are 100% virtual and having a detailed status helps to know what other team members are working and whether to ping or not depending on the status

• Adrienne Haywood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team really wants this feature, and we're stuck using Jabber for status purposes only... we'd like to use only Teams for everything! Thank you for your consideration! We'd be thrilled! The icons would be the fun part of this very serious feature. We'd like those too, please. :-)

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Volunteer Organizations where volunteers have gotten a E1-license this would be great to have. Sometimes we are a week having seminars with students on which we technically are available for our day to day-volunteer work, but not in the full extend since we have to focus on the seminar. To show that through a custom status would help to signal that a User is not 100% available due to an activity

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to fun, there's a lot of utility to a custom status. See Adam Ott's comments.

• Adam Ott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be most useful to me as a completely custom text status (without icons). I'd like to be able to set a status of "Stuck in SFO airport, on my way back to Seattle"

Feedback and Knowledge Base