How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Blink Icon for unread messages

Teams icon pinned in taskbar doesn't blink orange anymore when I receive new messages. I cannot find an option to turn this. Was this removed?

231 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The team has been investigating this issue. Currently, flashing in the taskbar only happens if you have banner notifications enabled in notification settings.

We are investigating a fix for this, and will keep you posted. In the meantime, hopefully this tip will help.

Thanks everyone.

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alan Whitten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my co-workers have orange AND a number of missed messages in the system tray. I'm jealous AND they can't remember how they did it. Comparing the settings windows, essentially the same... :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now teams shows "New activity" warning with RED circle on your tray icon. If you set yourself as Busy you get the same icon. NEW messages warning should have a different icon - Orange for example? Why would anyone use the same color for both things... how could you distinguish them from one another?

The message notifcations in Teams is poorly constructed. We need flashing icons on the toolbar and more options like banner persistence. We're trying to move our organisation from Skype for BUsiness to Teams, but we won't be able to until this is fixed.

This is a critical requirement if Teams is to replace Skype as in Instant Messaging communication tool.

YES - We cannot be constantly worried that we are going to miss a message because we were busy at the time. This function seems to exist in every other chat program that we have used - PLEASE bring this functionality as an option.

Why can't there be a "banner persists until dismissed" option? I miss more messages than I notice. I can understand that some people don't want this, as it can quickly cause "notification overload," but many of us who only get occasional notifications do need a better way to know about messages. This is why OPTIONS were invented. The five-second disappearing banner is useless unless you have your nose stuck to your screen every second of every day. "Back in the day," this was an option in Outlook, but I've long ago given up hoping that Microsoft not drop useful functions or respond to users.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add a blinking icon to the toolbar. This is very helpful, especially when you are busy doing a million other things, especially if you have more than one monitor, and you miss the banner.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Banner notifications are terrible and get in the way of things constantly. The ability to have the task bar icon flash with sound would be way better.

• Kenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with the rest. This seems like a pretty obvious and basic feature. Add the option for continuous sys tray icon blinking for unread messages.

• Timbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important. Please do not minimize the need for this. It is significant.

Users are complaining of missing critical chats. The fact that chat alerts are handled the same way as @mentions and other actions is ridiculous. A chat request is one user looking for immediate response. An @mention is not the same thing. With users missing chats and so many posts about this I can't imagine we are alone. Please, Please, Please help us improve user adoption by making it more obvious. Whether it is a different color when active chats are waiting or flashing it needs to be more obvious to users.

• David Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. I've been previously using slack and not having this is causing a massive headache, as people can't see my messages

Yes, please. Giving more flexibility for how to best be notified so as not to miss important messages would be greatly appreciated.

• Moon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the following statment
    "This is very important. And that's the only thing that we need to completely replace 'Skype for Business' with 'Teams'. the blink only option in the Notifications settings would be extremely important for Security reasons... Nobody wants other people to see every message that pops up in a banner... And if we deactivate the banner, we don't notice that people are tying to communicate with us. So, blink definitely solves this issue."

• Itsmesri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this feature is very important. Missing lots of messages for long time if don't see it.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base