How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to Mute a Conversation Thread

Please allow the ability for individual users to mute replies to a thread they have participated in. Allow this to be a toggle located under the three dot menu or an additional hover button.

180 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marcus Diddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed. Sometimes I'll respond once to a particular conversation, but the conversation continues on for 40-50 messages. Would love to be able to choose to just mute responses to a particular conversation that is no longer of interest.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about if Teams recognized Focus Assist in Windows 10. If I am in Focus mode, Teams should get muted.

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really surprised there's not more support on this one, but I guess you kind of need a busy channel with a couple runaway threads to really appreciate it. :) I would echo Nathan Jamison's response as well, such as to mute notifications for 10 min, 30 min, etc. based on what's needed. Thanks!

• Nathan Jamison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding in, I would like a range of timing options. 10 minutes to 24 hours since our teams group chat gets rolling but not everyone is at work so it just makes my phone go crazy.

10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, mute until user manually reactivates notifications.

• Judy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please!!! The noise is distracting but unfollowing the channel isn't a viable option.

• Mohamed Mansour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Teams is getting too active, I reply once to a thread, I would like to mute it. Similar mute controls of WhatsApp, messenger, Facebook posts.

• Mike DePouw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea!

Sometimes I get mentioned in a thread but I'm only needed to clarify one piece of info. ✅

Then the conversation continues and it doesn't involve me anymore but I keep getting notified. ⛔🗣

• Gert van den Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in favour of that, I don't care about the time limit. Some conversations (I'm assuming the refers to what the tooltips refer to as "messages" and the replies on it) are not relevant to all people in a team. I agree that muting mentions should not be done with the same settings (if possible at all)

• Andrew Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see this already here with a few votes. This is exactly what I want to see. A mute feature which is CONVERSATION based.

My ideal scenario would be a single 'mute' icon which is shown on each notification box. Clicking this would activate your default mute option for that conversation. Personally, my default option would be 'mute until I am @mentioned'; but other options may also be useful like mute for one hour, mute until tomorrow, mute forever...

• Jonathan Vander Veen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There are times when I need to focus that I'd like to turn off notifications temporarily without having to go back in and turn them back on. That's too easy to forget.

• Dakota Knutson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get notifications when someone responds to a thread, and this is great. But sometimes when a group of people really start corresponding rapidly in that thread the notifications can become quite noisy. I would really love to that the ability to mute notifications from a thread for n number of minutes. Perhaps an option or action from the notification to "mute this thread for 10 minutes" would be great! (Though if I was directly @mentioned I would still want to be notified.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base