How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to Mute a Conversation Thread

Please allow the ability for individual users to mute replies to a thread they have participated in. Allow this to be a toggle located under the three dot menu or an additional hover button.

253 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

236 votes... what's taking so long? PLEASE implement this feature. I want to comment and be involved, but getting a million notifications is really distracting.

Absolutely AGREED! Twitter does this very well with the "mute this conversation" option. And we can also un-mute it at any point, although being @'d should override your mute (great suggestion)!

• Stephen Cunliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I really want this too, if just the ability to mute notifications on a thread is doable then I’d be fine with this too.

• Peter Braun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has been mentioned multiple times below, but to show absolute enthusiasm, YES, please implement this.

The feature should have the timer functionality though. E.g. mute for 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours or mute until user manually reactivates notifications for that particular thread.

• Austin Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE consider implementing this. Our company has turned to Teams for every interaction imaginable, and it can get a bit out of hand.

For example:

"General it is Meme Day! Not many rules, 1) needs to be original 2) Make good choices- please put new all memes on this thread so we can keep the voting consolidated."
        > 108 replies from you, Foo, Bar, and 38 others

While many people LOVE to keep up-to-date on the latest in meme trends (108 new messages from the team in an 8 hour period), I would love the ability to mute rampage threads so I can focus on the important notifications.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes. some conversations i don't want to hear the notification sound, but the rest i do.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto Ditto Ditto, Ditto Ditto Ditto. Repeat this comment over and over and over and over, and over and over again and you get the gist on these interrupting notifications we are getting on a particular ever living, no longer relevant threads throughout the day to the computer, phone, and watch. To the point of wanting to unsubscribe to the channel but must for the sake of the job.

• Marcus Diddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed. Sometimes I'll respond once to a particular conversation, but the conversation continues on for 40-50 messages. Would love to be able to choose to just mute responses to a particular conversation that is no longer of interest.

How about if Teams recognized Focus Assist in Windows 10. If I am in Focus mode, Teams should get muted.

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really surprised there's not more support on this one, but I guess you kind of need a busy channel with a couple runaway threads to really appreciate it. :) I would echo Nathan Jamison's response as well, such as to mute notifications for 10 min, 30 min, etc. based on what's needed. Thanks!

• Nathan Jamison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding in, I would like a range of timing options. 10 minutes to 24 hours since our teams group chat gets rolling but not everyone is at work so it just makes my phone go crazy.

10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, mute until user manually reactivates notifications.

• Judy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please!!! The noise is distracting but unfollowing the channel isn't a viable option.

• Mohamed Mansour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Teams is getting too active, I reply once to a thread, I would like to mute it. Similar mute controls of WhatsApp, messenger, Facebook posts.

• Mike DePouw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea!

Sometimes I get mentioned in a thread but I'm only needed to clarify one piece of info. ✅

Then the conversation continues and it doesn't involve me anymore but I keep getting notified. ⛔🗣

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base