How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Download Improvements

Download Improvements

Generally the download experience with Teams is pretty poor and I'm amalgamating suggestions in to one

- Configuration of download location other than default download folder
- Download progress and fixing of hanging UI when downloading file
- Permanent notification to user in chat/team room or even a downloaded management area showing downloaded files with a direct link to open file
- Ability to open file directly from notification
- Ability to open folder from all areas download is listed
- Ability to download to a different one time location from the file hamburger menu

104 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jon Wojan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The C:\Users\%username%\Downloads location appears to be hard coded into the product. Even if I redirect the Downloads folder (such as used in Folder Redirection for Roaming Users) Teams does not respect the new locations within Windows. I consider this a Teams bug for Roaming scenarios.

• Alan Jagar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I click on downloaded notification it would be nice to open folder where file is saved and that this file is already selected.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "downloading"/"downloaded" notifications should be aware of each other -- if it's downloaded then I no longer care that it was downloading, and that notification can go away.

• SDC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incomplete downloads have cost me a lot of time and confusion with corrupt files.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo Joel and Aaron. Please download the file to a temporary file with a different name, then only creating the target file with its filename once the download has completed.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comment on January 10, 2019 by Joel is spot on. This has caused our work group so many issues due to people prematurely copying a file that is in the middle of being downloaded, then not being able to figure out why they can't open the file. The correct solution is exactly as he stated, to download to a temporary file, then rename that file after the download is complete.

The download progress and notifications have been flaky enough that I never really know when the download is complete. I just tell people to check the file size, which is also confusing to explain due to the power of 2 vs. power of 10 definition of 'kilo' or 'mega'.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the above and would also like to add:

When downloading a (large) file from a conversation in Teams, the file is written with it's final name, and expanded on with the actual data, meaning that it's possible to copy an incomplete, partial version of the file, which will likely ***** up anything more substantial than something with a basic encoding.

The way browsers usually circumvent this is by downloading a file to a temporary file with a different name, then only creating the target file with its filename once the download has completed. Is this something that can be improved in a future release?

• Ralf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is not information that file was saved in folder "Downloads" I am getting a lot of complaints that use is telling me that download is not working. At least a pop up that file has been saved in "Downloads" Folder would bring some slight improvement.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default download location should be settable globally, per-team and per-channel. It should also be possible to right click on the file icon, select "Save as..." and select a directory.

Feedback and Knowledge Base