How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Proper MSI Installer

The recent MSI installer isn't really what people are asking for. It doesn't actually install to program files. It just puts an installer in program files which then installs to the users app data. This doesn't work for me at all.

In a non-persistent VDI environment the application has to install on every login (unless I roam appdata/local which I don't want to do). This isn't the end of the world as it's fairly quick but the problem comes when you also use Yammer. Yammer has the same weird install method and when both teams and yammer try to install they cause a process conflict so only one of them actually installs.

Can we have some proper deployment methods like the rest of Office please? Or at the very least a way of deploying Teams and Yammer together?

31 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until we have this, we will not deploy teams and hang on to "legacy" Skype for as long as possible (should apply to OS X too). We have 8,500 devices. 4500 of these are shared by 17,000 users who get a fresh profile every time they login! There needs to be a device based installation!

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally it installs to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Teams and installs an updater service and keeps its user-specific stuff in %appdata% like the rest of windows.

Windows Defender and Office O365 seem to have no trouble at all updating themselves and interacting with Users or other non-admin accounts.

• Koen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the previous MSI uservoice is closed without addressing the main feature request (per machine basis installer) I support continuing in this uservoice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base