How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Proper MSI Installer for VDI

The recent MSI installer isn't really what people are asking for. It doesn't actually install to program files. It just puts an installer in program files which then installs to the users app data. This doesn't work for me at all.

In a non-persistent VDI environment the application has to install on every login (unless I roam appdata/local which I don't want to do). This isn't the end of the world as it's fairly quick but the problem comes when you also use Yammer. Yammer has the same weird install method and when both teams and yammer try to install they cause a process conflict so only one of them actually installs.

Can we have some proper deployment methods like the rest of Office please? Or at the very least a way of deploying Teams and Yammer together?

226 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DonutCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Long time Edu Admin, and cannot believe this has not been sorted sooner. The first uservoice asking for this was force close way too early. Onedrive has now finally gone /allusers but is still putting configuration in appdata\local which does not work with non-persistent cached profiles.
    Please think of the admin installs as well as the consumer ones, we may be fewer in number, but we spend more with MS, and have vastly higher install rates.

• Joe Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an administrator, it frustrates me that Microsoft standardizes the installation process for windows, then goes rogue with their own installers. A proper installation would not only benefit VDI, but also companies that follow Microsoft's own security advice...

Who in their right mind lets any random user run an executable out of their profile, regardless of how it got there!

• Tom Stack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The bigger issue I have is if the stupid user account based install gets borked its much more difficult to fix since you cant really uninstall/reinstall Give us a standard install to program files installer thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Application in profiles is ******* non presisent vdi machine. Please make per machine teams install

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously this is one of the reasons why you bought FSLogix, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't fix this hideous deployment method for teams.

Just Do it. Ridiculous that you have closed the first user voice and implemented such a ****** solution.

• Adam Fowler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The previous user voice being closed is definitely wrong - we want an end result of the program being in Program Files, not the user's profile. OneDrive for Business is finally moving towards this way, and Teams needs to be there too.

There's even gaps where we can't deploy a firewall rule, and Teams will alert on this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-clients

• AndresP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

current (4.4.2019 x64) MSi installe is a joke. I just copies the same user based executable to program files and sets windows to autolaunch it for every user - still installing in user profile space. Not wort time to experiment with it.
    Whats wrong with You?
    It is still not usable in enterprise and in Terminal and not in roaming profile .

Until we have this, we will not deploy teams and hang on to "legacy" Skype for as long as possible (should apply to OS X too). We have 8,500 devices. 4500 of these are shared by 17,000 users who get a fresh profile every time they login! There needs to be a device based installation!

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally it installs to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Teams and installs an updater service and keeps its user-specific stuff in %appdata% like the rest of windows.

Windows Defender and Office O365 seem to have no trouble at all updating themselves and interacting with Users or other non-admin accounts.

• Koen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the previous MSI uservoice is closed without addressing the main feature request (per machine basis installer) I support continuing in this uservoice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.