How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Need to invite non-team members to a channel meeting

When scheduling a channel meeting, we can only invite team members, no one else. We need to be able to invite other people (non-team members), as well as conference rooms. None of our team or the other groups we have piloting this tool can schedule a conference room into a CHANNEL based Teams meeting. If it is a standard Teams meeting, we can invite whoever - so we know it is possible - it just won't work for Channel meetings.

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Victoria Hughes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joeri Feyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another workarround: Shedule the meeting in teams, invite the channel, send the meeting, join the meeting, add participants, now you can add non channel people.

• Joeri Feyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Roy, I am trying your workarround. Create the meeting in Teams, go to Outlook (online), calender, i cannot edit the meeting i created in Teams. Are you using the Outlook Fat Client?

• Victoria Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you. Viable work abounds are one thing, but it should be a built in capability to ensure a seamless user experience. Our company's users find it counter intuitive and we shouldn't have to train people on a work around(s).

• Roy F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already do this. Create the meeting in Teams, then edit the meeting from the group's calendar in Outlook, add the guest (non-team member) and/or room, save - voilà!

It's a minor inconvenience that this cannot be done from within Teams, but it works and the Join Microsoft Teams Meeting link will work for the guest (that was unexpected, but I confirmed it works via testing).

If not familiar with accessing the group's calendar, you do that via the vcalendar view in Outlook, bottom of left pane.

Channel meetings are owned by the team and all team members can edit the meeting when opened from the team calendar.

Adding a room replaces the Team/Channel shown in location, but from what I could tell, that had no affect on the channel meeting. (It could be that it had an affect and I just didn't notice it.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base