How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Distribution Lists in Teams

In Skype for Business client I can add a Distribution List as a Contact Group.

Can we have this feature in Teams?

226 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would Microsoft not include this in Teams before getting rid of Skype for Business? They want people using their software, so we do and get used to it. Develop processes that include their software and then replace it with something that can't do everything the previous software can.

• Stacey Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TOMORROW, our business loses Skype and can only use Teams. We use the distribution list/contact group every single day. We have over 350 employees and over half of them currently skype one of our contact groups a minimum of 5 times a day. So as of tomorrow, our workflow has to change drastically and will negatively impact our productivity and workflow.

Microsoft, we really need this feature in Teams ASAP. It would have been great if you added this enhancement BEFORE disabling Skype for Businesses.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when can we have users added to a DL after it has been added to a team automatically added to the team

It is incredibly frustrating to not be able to invite a group of people to a Team meeting. It's hard to look credible when you tell your employee to switch to Teams and new ways of working and then tell them 'oops' sorry go back to how you used to do things!

• brmdaniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone heard from Microsoft about incorporating Distribution lists and groups into Teams? Its holding up back to fully migrate over.

• Emily Rambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this request was first added August 27, 2018, and still has no comment by Microsoft. Though it seems potentially futile, I'll add my voice to the discussion. This is the first thing I looked for when I downloaded Teams. Did all my Contact Groups come over from SfB? Very disappointed to find they did not (well, the names were there, but empty).

Not just for chat, and to easily see who in a Group is currently Online, but also for meetings. Teams Meetings will not be possible/successful until group memberships are supported. Although you can add a group to a team, it's converted to the current member names and those are added, not the group. If the group is subsequently updated, the Teams members aren't kept in synch with the group. If I have a meeting for which all members of 8-10 groups need to be invited, I'll have to manually maintain the Teams' membership list to match all of the Groups. This makes no sense.

• Ryan Oden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the #1 thing holding us back from switching from Skype to Teams. We have a DL per office location and each user only needs to add those lists currently in Skype to have an up-to-date list of contacts. We need this ability in Teams. Currently, they can see the distribution lists but are unable to view anyone who is a member of those distribution lists.

How is there no status update for this from MS yet? We've just started using Teams and come across this. My entire list was powered by DL's so you're telling me I have to manually add all these lists and on top of that, keep them up-to-date?

• Greg Besso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is yet another example of how Microsoft always half-bakes things. This new shiny tool will replace this old less shiny tool... but has only half the features. Guess shouldn't be suprised...

With the added function that changes in the distribution group/list will also reflect the membership of the team. So removing or adding a person to the distribution group will also remove or add the member of the team.

After hours we have a very hard time finding contacts without this feature. It turns a simple task into a very time consuming ordeal.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! It's the first thing I looked for when trying out Teams. How else can we quickly see which of our colleagues are online??

It is imperative that we get this function back. Our after hours teams lived by it, and now we are wasting time trying to figure out who is online. I should not have to go into outlook to open the group codes in order to get this information.

Yes this is needed in Teams Chat. I think not having that feature will be a deal breaker for many. I have already had this question come up with one of our Directors. She wants it. The ability to built contact groups from Distribution groups existed in Sametime and Skype. Why not in Teams Chat?

• Carl Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

Is this feature available [going to be available] in teams. It is such a useful feature in S4B

• ITPro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

our users don't want to move to teams because the lack of this single feature. That's how important it is to them.

• Mike Prisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the post below, I also see that DL's can only be added to a "New team" not as a new contact etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base