How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Distribution Lists in Teams

In Skype for Business client I can add a Distribution List as a Contact Group.

Can we have this feature in Teams?

133 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the added function that changes in the distribution group/list will also reflect the membership of the team. So removing or adding a person to the distribution group will also remove or add the member of the team.

After hours we have a very hard time finding contacts without this feature. It turns a simple task into a very time consuming ordeal.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! It's the first thing I looked for when trying out Teams. How else can we quickly see which of our colleagues are online??

It is imperative that we get this function back. Our after hours teams lived by it, and now we are wasting time trying to figure out who is online. I should not have to go into outlook to open the group codes in order to get this information.

Yes this is needed in Teams Chat. I think not having that feature will be a deal breaker for many. I have already had this question come up with one of our Directors. She wants it. The ability to built contact groups from Distribution groups existed in Sametime and Skype. Why not in Teams Chat?

• Carl Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

Is this feature available [going to be available] in teams. It is such a useful feature in S4B

• ITPro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

our users don't want to move to teams because the lack of this single feature. That's how important it is to them.

• Mike Prisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the post below, I also see that DL's can only be added to a "New team" not as a new contact etc.

• Robbie English commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be brilliant to enable distribution lists in teams or something similar where a user could message the distribution list and get an available manager instead of popping from manager to manager to see who is available. I would think this would be integral part of the organizational flow especially since some conversations need to take place privately and not in a channel for all users to see.

• Villads Chester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are looking for adding distribution/security groups and KEEP the group as members then I fully support this idea. It's great you can add members from a distribution group, but very bad that the members will not update when you add members to the distribution group.

• Satish Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, they should consider to migrate DL added in contact list when migrating users from SfB to MS Teams.

• Andy Shi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a key feature missing in Teams. To add them one by one, it is a stupid design.

I agree, this is a key piece of functionality in s4b that needs to be added to teams before I can consider replacing s4b with teams. Right now all my distribution lists I have added to s2b show up in teams but they are empty and do not work.

I agree we need to be able to do this, the groups are created and recreating is too time consuming

• Jussi Palo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is key missing feature before I can even consider using Teams over SfB for chatting. There's no way I will manually create, populate, and maintain groups in Teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base