How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Improve Install options - Install for all users and install location

Raising this again as Microsoft closed the previous request, saying it was complete even though it was not. (link below)

Teams should install to the program files directory, not the users AppData.

And NO, the answer is not to put a copy of the MSI in Pogram Files and deploy to the users AppData when they login.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17380159-improve-install-options-install-for-all-users-an

231 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was really frustrated to see that the previous feedback was closed. Even more frustrated to find there is no way to query the closure/resolution.

Reading the feedback, it was clear what was being asked for. Admins do not want installations into user profiles. I would love to hear Microsoft's reasoning behind this!!

Not only does it consume unnecessary space in a users' profile, consume additional bandwidth for every download/update, it's just not manageable from an admin perspective.

If someone uninstalls the app after it has been deployed via MSI, and then they want to start using it, we have to **** about with cleanup scripts on a per user basis? Why?

What's wrong with a traditional program files installation?
        We are only just testing Teams, and before I'd even looked at deployment options, you know how I found out about it's install process? I was shadowing a user on a server that did not have it installed, and I saw they were running Teams! I had a look at the file location and it turned out it was in their profile. I was disgusted to see that this had been installed and used without our knowledge. Google saw the error of their ways with this and gave enterprises a proper MSI installer, why can Microsoft not do the same?

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. The original request was not completed. This is so egregious it is borderline willful misconduct. A per-machine installation of the application, with no executables in program files, to support VDI environments, Configuration Manager inventory, with an MSI installation, as per industry standards. Microsoft Office does not have a Per-User installation. Neither should Microsoft Teams.

• Martin Godfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the statements I've read. Teams will be a valuable communications to our Business, however I cannot stress the pathetic way it is installed. We use Citrix with Appsense (Ivanti) Application Control. All users are users, not admins, yet the Teams install wants to punch its way through all the security procedures we have in place. And we all wonder why how Malware is installed. Left Microsoft ruin your security strategy and allow these holes from the malware to be installed. Come on Microsoft - you need to rethink how Teams is installed. This is a great tool but you are so spoiling the experience for admins. Address the installation as soon as possible.

• Ggrrr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could they close the original request and call it done? Either stupidity or arrogance... I'm going with arrogance given their recent track record.

• Julian Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the other comments that the approach taken by the MSI "installer" is appalling.

Teams is NOT a consumer too but an enterprise one - Microsoft, you need to behave like you understand what an enterprise tool is.

Installing to appdata creates massive bloat in roaming profiles and may be unworkable for people in locked down enterprise environments. Or indeed in locked down environments in general.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can vouch for the huge amount of disruption the teams installation is causing for teachers in lessons. We were at a point where staff were using the online version and had adopted the useful features it has to offer. Sadly, once I installed teams across the site, (following some testing on a VM), we have had a very disappointed group of staff who have complained about severe performance impacts after logging in. So, I thought it would be easy to remove, or at least stop from runnning at startup - sadly this was not the case at all. There are NO options to prevent it running from startup AFTER installing. Provision of some ADMX templates, (like onedrive) would have been really useful so we could at least have some control on a per user basis.
        Anyway, I looked into removing it due to the disruption we had experienced across our site but as seems to be the way with this new array of apps, we are forced to either devise and run a script at login and remove it from appdata, thus slowing down user login times, or trawling various forums and articles who all seem to be venting the same concerns.

For the sake of this almighty headache I've probably acquired due to stress this has caused, PLEASE SORT THIS OUT!

• S. Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were about to switch to Teams for most of our communication, but not being able to install ONE copy per PC to ProgramFiles has put a screeching halt on these intentions. We will not be using Teams until this is possible, with the reasons being iterated by many others.
        Again: It's NOT ok to have one copy per user per pc in the name of "seamless updates" circumventing MS own policies and guidelines as to where stuff should go.

• Jason Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have left comments here, github, microsoft teams youtube videos, IT community forums, and so on. I'm legitimately tired of asking. My only hope now is that they release a windows store app that I can whitelist.

• Daniel Milisic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to believe I can't instal Teams globally for all users on a machine. How do i publish Teams as a RemoteApp? This is insane, please fix this!
        Thanks,
        D.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

until this behaviour is changed we will not be using Teams in out education environment.

• misterQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They have marked this as fixed but are not addressing the fact that it has to be installed via appdata for every user. I think this is there way of pushing updates.

• misterQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are other doing in Education. We have to lock down appdata and this a huge problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment

".... Teams application will be installed in that user's appdata folder."

"We don't recommended that you change the default install locations, as this could break the update flow. Having too old a version will eventually block users from accessing the service. "

Teams will not replace Skype for Business until this failure is fixed.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot believe this feedback from Warren..... if they're expecting Teams to ultimately replace Skype for Business they're going to have to change their mind on this strategy. Forcing decisions on businesses is not how you win customers.

"Thank you for the feedback and our Microsoft Teams feature team have seen your feedback. Allow me to provide a response from the feature team.

Why Teams App is NOT installed in Program Files (aka per Machine)?
        The goal was to ensure we provide our users with newest features and fixes as quickly as possible and ensure all users are getting the best experience possible from Microsoft Teams.
        Therefore, we don’t limit the ability to update the software by requiring only IT Admin credentials. Unfortunately, if the product were installed under Program Files, that is exactly what would happen. Software under Program Files requires IT admin credentials and the updates would need to be managed per user which in turn would be a lot of overhead due to the frequency of updates to Microsoft Teams.

Why Not follow Office Installation Practice?
        All Office apps require admin credentials to install & update. Office products are updated at a much slower rate than Teams. We are actively creating updates and new features as quickly as possible and having an admin prompt pop due to updates either several times a week or sometimes daily when in Teams would be frustrating for users.
        Also, most managed deployments of Office happen via SCCM (msi based) which is handled by IT admins. The process is a system service and an install would not prompt the user for admin credentials. Once the installation is complete all future updates are handled by SCCM. If IT admins were required to handle weekly SCCM for various updates, this too would be frustrating/annoying.

The overall goal is to try and make the installation as painless as possible while enabling our ability to keep Teams updated in a timely fashion without placing undo burden on IT admins within organizations."

• Tom S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While its great that they did implement an MSI installer it does not only "install once" its puts the application in Program Files but still creates a ton of per user garbage. Please fix this broken architecture so it truly is only installed once per machine.

agree, please reopen and fix the application so it installs for all users on the machine and stores data only (not executables) in the appdata folder

Thank you for raising this again. Closing the last issue and ignoring the problem is not a solution!

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base