How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Improve Install options - Install for all users and install location

Raising this again as Microsoft closed the previous request, saying it was complete even though it was not. (link below)

Teams should install to the program files directory, not the users AppData.

And NO, the answer is not to put a copy of the MSI in Pogram Files and deploy to the users AppData when they login.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17380159-improve-install-options-install-for-all-users-an

391 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anthony Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the heck, Microsoft. You make Enterprise software. How are we supposed to run this in a citrix environment that thousands of students access if they all have to install their own copy of teams?

• Andy Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur completely with Josh G's comment. Cannot roll this out to shared clinical workstations while this is still the only way to install Teams. C'mon MS, get this right!!!

• Josh G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The existing MSI solution is simply a more complicated method to do the same thing - install a copy of Teams to every user's AppData.

In an environment with systems that have dozens of users, this can cause significant disk space issues. In a clinical setting, you may have 50-100 individual user profiles on a single workstation, so a Teams install with an average size of ~500 MB (if updated), then you may be looking at 50GB just for Teams to be installed in each user profile.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would to be able to install this once per computer, & have it run for all authenticated users.
    Please, Install once & forget!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we wait on MS to do something about this I found a third party solution that does exactly what we want.

https://www.masterpackager.com/blog/how-microsoft-teams-installer-should-have-looked-like-from-the-beginning

These guys repackaged the MSI to install to Program Files. I've ran it on a test machine and it seems to work perfectly. Going third party is obviously not ideal but with MS pushing Teams so aggressively this is better than nothing at this point.

• Tristan Floor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. We need it to use in an enterprise non persistent vdi solution... How can we adopt teams if it fails at the start.

• Jon Tydda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like everyone else, I need to be able to install this ONCE per computer, and have it run for different users. Just like EVERY other piece of software we install.

We need to be able to configure where it is installed (i.e. Program Files, NOT in the user profile), and we need to be able to configure options globally - an ADMX file that contains preconfigured firewall rules, and other basic settings.

• Steve McGovern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don’t understand why we are having to vote for what should be standard functionality for an Enterprise App?

• J Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here.

Nobody in an enterprise wants to install to %appdata%
    We need to be in control of updates
    We want ADMX files to set default settings.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The @OneDrive Team just created an installer for Program Files which doesn’t copy the binaries to appdata anymore. They have seen the light :)

The Microsoft mantra (1 user = 1 device) doesn’t work for all Enterprises. Please get this app out of appdata ASAP.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jesus. How can an app from Microsoft exist without having the ability to install in program file directory on windows machines?!

I've found the .msi and i was super happy thinking "Oh great, now i can deploy this and it will install in program files, not like something that was created by 1.5 indian programmers and is deployed in users appdata via setup....." Imagine all my disappointment when i found out that all it does is just pile up executables in program files folder and copies them to new logged in users app data folder.

It's fine for a home user but seriously absurd for enterprise...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess a big part of the Canadian Government will just have to keep using Cisco Jabber. :)

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're switching from Skype for Business to Teams, and first impressions during it's install have been awful. It runs in AppData, which makes it incredibly difficult to deploy in our VDI environment. On top of that, our end users are not administrators. When you go to make a call, it requires administrator permission to allow this. There is a powershell command you can run after the user logs in, but that shouldn't be the answer to this. Lastly, there's a REASON programs don't run from AppData, and it's all about security. I'm trying to have this ready to go by the time Microsoft pulls the plug on Skype for Business, but the fact we needed to have this thread at all to address common sense on program installation is discouraging.

• Joar Guttormsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can this not be of the highest priority? It makes it impossible to use in an Enterprise Environment.

• DonutCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking to deploy teams across an education trust of UK secondary schools, full super mandatory profiling for students meaning Teams would re-install at every log on is not acceptable when you are trying to get classes sat down and logged on, every second genuinely counts as we do this hundreds of time on the hour every hour.
    A agree closing comments on the previous thread marked as complete was inappropriate as the solution does not fit the original request, and is completely unmanageable.
    Proper MSI installer into program files, support for single sign on to O365 just like Office 365. Teams devs, if you're not sure how to do it, go ask the Office devs, but for goodness sake do it right first time rather than marking the task complete when it clearly is not.
    Thank you.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base