How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Different Notification Colours

It would be nice if the "followed channel" notification was a different color than the "direct mention" indicator. since I can't tell the difference, i find myself heading over to teams just to see conversations that I'm probably not interested in, which ends up being bad context-switching for me

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I would like to gather some more feedback about this topic. I understand the request is for different colored notifications but I wanted to see about your feedback on the different icons.

We currently have different icons depending on the activity you are being notified of.
    Such as a direct mention in a channel with have the “@” symbol, letting you know you were @ mentioned.
    A lightbulb icon lets you know about general activity within a channel you follow.
    A chatbox icon appears when channel is mentioned that you are part of.

And so forth… do these icons help you understand the notifications or do you feel color differentiation is also required?

Let me know in the comments of this topic thread. Thanks!
    -Warren

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan Chaves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am mainly concerned with the system tray. I agree with Joel's comment that different colors of notifications the tray would be useful. See Mattermost where they use red for direct mentions but blue for "other" activity.

I also agree with LisaJo that it's sometimes difficult to see where the new activity is. Highlights and/or colors to show which channels and threads have new activity would be very useful.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,

The place where notifications could really be improved is in the system tray. Currently all notifications are signified by a red dot.

Hope that helps.

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK...you asked for it... ! LOL

Icons only go so far to gaining my attention and, therefore, alerting me to new content. I never seen a lightbulb for anything and if they have appeared, they never caught my eye. When I notice that some kind of icon has been added to my TEAMS app (presuming I have it on top) and I click on the bolded chat/channel, I'm still not sure which is actually new when I look at the content.

I know I'm one person but colors would work better than bold (sometimes bold doesn't look bold for some fonts or font sizes). So some suggestions would be

-Change the background color of the unread/new chat to make it pop on the screen,
        -Change the font color of the text for a new private chat in the left column,
        -Add a background color to or change the font color for the TEAM and channel in which the new content is located.
        -Focus the view of the chat so that the new entry to which the notification is referring is centered on the screen (that's not a color but it would help me find the new content faster),
        -Put a bigger boundary/box/frame around the new/unread message.

The biggest problem I experience, though, is that because I multitask in other apps than just TEAMS and I don't have TEAMS on top of my screen, there is often nothing that tells me there is new content unless I manually, remember to check it. And, I'm sorry to say, a highlighted TEAMS icon (which is a color added) in my task bar isn't doing the trick. I have more than 1 monitor and if I'm focused on the work I'm doing via the second monitor, I don't see the alert/notification on my main monitor. Admittedly, I have this problem with Skype, too, but anything that can be done to keep it persistent, periodically flash, something to draw my attention to it upon changing my focus back to something that is on my main monitor would help make TEAMS better than Skype in this matter.

Then, there's the whole question about immediate notification if I'm offline, notifications appearing on my phone but not on my desktop app, and vice versa. Just making them more obvious and persistent (meaning bugging me.... LOL) would help. Humans are designed to be attracted to things of color more than things that are not so please just add some.

Feedback and Knowledge Base