How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

-HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled = true when created from Teams?

A recent update has changed -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled from default false to default true when Office 365 group is created by Teams. I would like an option for the user who creates the team to set this value upon creation. Our users need to use the O365 group as well as the team created in Teams. With this value set to true they cannot use the email functionality of the O365 group unless I use powershell to change the value every time someone creates a new team in Teams.

This post was created because of a suggestion from support and the information in this thread: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Teams-do-not-create-365-group/m-p/205983/thread-id/14745

227 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Philip Netherclift shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think hidden by default for teams created groups is the right way to go but I think adding into the UI to ask if it should also be visable in outlook is worth wild to do and super easy on the code side.

• Sonia Jobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a group with Teams. Teams must than generate an adresse e-mail and and agenda Outlook of that groupe, or else what is the use of using Teams? I hope it's not just another gaddet.

• Anthony Vallalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very true I believe we need to have those Groups showing up in Outlook. My work around right now is to create my Groups in Outlook then Teamify the Group in Teams. Just an idea and I'm going to see how that works but I don't want to have to add steps to our end users process of creating a Team whom are just now trying to embrace this new technology. There's already enough for them to try and learn so please consider going back to the original way Teams was designed. Thank you.

• Alfonso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it´s very important for my organization create a team and can access to the Outlook group associated to the team, now we are workwaroud this problema creating first the Outlook group and associating a new team to this group.

If the "hidden" attribute defaults to False, how do we find the url for the group calendar so we can link it to the Team channel?

• Petr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that I am alone in this, but - why would just anyone use Groups along with Teams? It is a chaos, when users ask, why the group emails are not propagated to the channel wall and vice versa. The inability to hide/unhide Groups in Outlook is a MS imo an oversight though. So users can attach callendars, contact lists, but are not able to select/add groups themselves to see? Not even an administrator can do it unless diving deep into the PowerShell? Hilarious ....

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until a native Teams calendar tab/app is created, we need new teams to be able to access the Outlook calendar associated with the team! The PowerShell command workaround is not a feasible long-term solution for us.

• James Sefton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are migrating a number of clients over to teams (from public folders) and really getting hassle over the fact that clients cannot create teams and access them in outlook without having to contact IT support all the time. We would very much like to see either groups showing in outlook by default, or an option for clients themselves to click a simple option when creating the group (or afterwards) to indicate if it should be showin in outlook or not.

• Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Causing us real pain - don't understand why the Groups created when you make a Team are now hidden and cannot be used as normal Groups within Outlook etc. When we made the transition to O365 and Teams, we followed the MS recommendation of creating Teams first (rather than Groups) as Groups were created automatically with a Team. This was a MS recommendation, now they have removed the Groups functionality when you create a Team? Baffling!!! And the only (weak) support that we have received so far suggests we have to use a PowerShell command FOR EACH TEAM that has been created since this change??? We need a command (be it PowerShell or otherwise) that reverses this decision for all Teams created since MS initiated this change with little or no warning. Not happy!

• Grant Cocco CISSP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the option to set HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled during the Teams provisioning process only would solve our issues partially because if an employee discovers they made a mistake creating their new Team the burden to fix that issue remains in the hands of an someone technically competent to run PowerShell. I would like to see the option available to toggle HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled during the Teams provisioning process and in the UI where a Teams Owner could manage this option

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If only the General channel referred to what it meant: general. The group email address should be the email address for this channel and emails sent to it should be dropping into the Conversation. In this way, Conversations in Outlook GROUPS would be included in the Conversations in the General channel. While I agree with the idea of the availability for choice, visible or not, I think this would solve a lot of the 'pain' that is felt as a result of creating via TEAM app and not having interactivity with the GROUP email. It's created automatically....why not make use of it??

These two access points are going to exist for quite a while yet---might as well let them get along and not create more confusion.

Incidentally (or maybe not so incidental), if Files in the General channel in TEAMS revealed the All Documents view of the library, that would solve the disconnect between Outlook's GROUPS 'Files' and TEAMS 'Files'.

Spent the better part of an afternoon trying to figure out how to get the person who created a team access to the group calendar. Please find a fix to make this more logical!

I think by default it should not be hidden. ANd if they want, they should have the option to hide straight out of Teams

This has made if VERY difficult having just created a new team (without it being a group first). There is no easy access to the group calendar now, which makes 'selling' the idea to a group of non-technical users frustrating. It would be REALLY helpful to have a fix for this!

This recent update was a disappointing development from an end-user of Team's perspective. Would very much like to see this as a user/team administrator option to select during Team creation

Feedback and Knowledge Base