How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

adjustable timeout on the outbound webhook reply (5 seconds not long enough)

Currently if you use a outbound web hook to integrate with another system like a custom bot the time given for a response is only 5 seconds, that a fine default, but it needs to be adjustable so that bot/services that do some work before responding has time to do so. I would say up to 2 mins (the http standard timeout) though a recommendation to not go over 30 seconds for resources could get strained. You would need to put a max currently open connections from a user, team or channel to prevent some pretty horrid resource starvation attack vectors.

Also the error message in teams of 'Sorry, there was a problem encountered with your request' should be updated in this instance to say something like 'Remote hook endpoint failed to respond within X seconds.' where x is the current setting.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that!
    The possibilities of an outgoing webhook are endless but its usefullness is significantly reduced by the 5 seconds timeout. It would be greatly appreciated, if the timeout could be increased or be made configurable.

• Nicholas Piasecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My webhook does nothing except post the message to an Azure Blob, running on an Azure Function, and it's too slow on a cold start. Maybe Microsoft could talk to Microsoft here?

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another victim of the Microsoft Teams Team's aversion to configurability.

We need to persuade Steve Ballmer to get back on stage and bounce around shouting "Options! Options! Options! Options!"

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.