How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open links to teams in Desktop App

SITUATION: When you receive a link to a Teams file or folder, or really anything in Teams, like a Planner task - it sends you to the sharepoint site, regardless of whether you have the Desktop App installed and even if it is open.

RESOLUTION: Make links to any Teams elements open directly in the Teams Desktop App

This will save so much time and frustration from people, and also make Teams seem like a more integrated solution for everyone.

970 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Claus Elbo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

101 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joel Frenette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why do teams links open in browser first, if the desktop app is installed?
    They should open in desktop app first if the desktop app is installed.

• John Nuttall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m not saying anything anyone hasn’t already said, this is annoying, please fix and add a check for the client and “if exists” open in the client..... it can’t be that hard to do, you could put this one in the quick wins pile

• Marcos Babu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same happens to Teams on iOS/Android. Link first opens in a browser and then, maybe, open on the app. But there's actually no app-checking (it fails if the app is not installed).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening Join Teams Meeting link in Outlook Meeting Invite always opens to Teams HTML Splash Page asking me to Download or if I have Teams installed to use the Desktop App. If Teams Desktop App is installed, link should open within Teams not html splash page-annoying.

• Fabrizio Assennato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi team, another example of frustrated user. We are trying to distribute our bi-weekly status update reports and this problem is definitely not encouraging people to collaborate and share knowledge. I believe that for a tool like Teams, this should be a top priority. We are all trying to encourage people to join us on Teams, but this is certainly not helping.

• Jan Izydorczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress?
    These are all "Office apps" links to open directly in Teams published in Teams. For example, you open a page in OneNote in the same Teams as the link was published.

• Joe G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue here, such a simple thing to address. Can we please get this done already?

• Deepika Adike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing this fucntionality has become a necessity for smoother flow from any application to a teams url - be it file or a meeting invite. Please consider this to implement for enabling more user friendliness to Teams.

Thanks!

How about getting this into the system? This is SO BASIC that I don't know why it doesn't work.

My colleagues have decided to STEP OUT OF TEAMS with this issue as one of the main problems. I don't have a chance to get them onboard when totally basic things like this still have not made it to the product.

• Pankaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to open teams meeting url directly in desktop app?
    Please help!

• me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic feature, who is designing your team application......is this really integrated?

Please make the default app a user-configurable option. I know many folks who prefer one experience over the other.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I open a Teams meeting link from Outlook Calendar it briefly opens the browser then redirects to the installed windows client. While better than it was, it's still an unnecessary extra step.

• Shervin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I NEED this to start getting my company on MSFT Teams! Please create this feature.

• Alicia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please enable a link to open the Desktop app! Always one minute late to a meeting if I don't see before that it is a teams one, so have allowed an extra minute to get the browser to wake up, log me in, wait while I click to use the app, wait for the app to open etc etc etc. Voice calls and screen sharing are so much better with Teams than Skype, but that annoying delay before you get to the meeting is infuriating!

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite embarrasing that we have to vote for basic functionality

• T Wolfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. My team is constantly finding work-a-rounds, but all require manual effort instead of an automatic hyperlink to the Teams app.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base