How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open links to teams in Desktop App

SITUATION: When you receive a link to a Teams file or folder, or really anything in Teams, like a Planner task - it sends you to the sharepoint site, regardless of whether you have the Desktop App installed and even if it is open.

RESOLUTION: Make links to any Teams elements open directly in the Teams Desktop App

This will save so much time and frustration from people, and also make Teams seem like a more integrated solution for everyone.

622 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Claus Elbo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to move 23000 people into teams and this would be a nice to have for sure, it drives me crazy when I click a link and it asks me to download teams when I have it installed on my Mac already.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS, pls do it! It is really quite basic to expect when selecting "Teams link" that the link is opening then directly inside the Teams app and NOT the ShP-view of the Team's app.
        Generally, I'd suggest to put a stronger focus in your requirements engineering on the end-user perspective's perception of common-sense and cross-app coherency! - this is a shortcoming I have noticed on really various occasions of MS-applications.

• Aswin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic stuff .. in 2019 when mobile apps can understand and handle links.. why cant this be done properly on windows!!

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is quite frustrating as it does not always re-route to the desktop app.

Please do it.. what is the POINT of the desktop app if all links open in EDGE (consuming 100000 GB of memory) ?

This is a real. Pain... Opening the Web app when you have teams app installed is a pain.... Any update please msft?

Alternatively (or additionally), if the link brings you to the web site, provide the option to "Open this link in the app" - right now, it says either to use the site or to "GET" the app. I already have the app, I don't need to install it. I simply want to open a link in the app.

+1 on this - I expected the link would work this way and was a little disappointed to be brought to the web login page. Would definitely make Teams seem like a better integrated tool.

I have the same issue in Outlook when opening a meeting it takes me to the web client first, i would like an option to automatically use the desktop app for all of it.

• Scott Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I figured I was doing something wrong this entire time, since this seems like such an obvious feature.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base