How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open links to teams in Desktop App

SITUATION: When you receive a link to a Teams file or folder, or really anything in Teams, like a Planner task - it sends you to the sharepoint site, regardless of whether you have the Desktop App installed and even if it is open.

RESOLUTION: Make links to any Teams elements open directly in the Teams Desktop App

This will save so much time and frustration from people, and also make Teams seem like a more integrated solution for everyone.

278 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Claus Elbo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should definitely be the default action. If it is accessible by Teams, it should open in Teams first.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A solution should work for all links to files, not just the Teams app. A SharePoint link to an Excel file should also open Excel Desktop app, especially with V1808 rolling out soon and the improved collaboration that comes with it. Excel Online still has way to many limitation and forces to create editable files ...

• T Wolfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature has created collaboration challenges for my design team leading to wasted time and inefficiency.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a baseline feature in my opinion. Should be included as soon as possible. It doesn't seem like it would be a difficult feature to implement either.

• Johannes Behr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This already works. The protocol "msteams:" will be registered when you install the dektopclient.
        E.g. the following url opens a chat to a given person:
        "msteams:conversations/8:orgid:<GUID OF THE PERSON>?ctx=chat"
        You can findout the gui by using the webclient of teams.

this is a very vital feature that needs to be deployed the soonest. You don't want to open MS Teams in to places. If desktop app is available in the computer then open it, if not then use the web browser.

• Roel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to include an url to chat with me in Teams in my email signature.

• Laurens de Koning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree, from a technical perspective I suspect they would have to change the hyperlinks to Teams to something like teams://teams.microsoft.com/etc-etc-etc-etc?threadid=whatever. Because the association on a desktop for http:// links is linked to your default browser.

Suppose they would change this: people who do not (want to) use the desktop client would be unable to use the hyperlink anymore because Windows, Linux or macOS would not be able to understand the (unregistered) teams:// hyperlink.

So I guess people should supply two different links to the same Teams destination (teams:// and/or http://) or a "Open in Desktop App" link on the Teams website which will subsequently open the Teams Desktop app. That would always mean a 2-step procedure to get to the desktop app and is probably not desirable as well.

Mobile Operating Systems, such as Android, can detect and associate a hyperlink beyond the (http) protocol and can open the Teams App based on the domain/hostname of the link that is being opened (teams.microsoft.com), it would be awesome if Windows, Linux or macOS could do the same trick.

• Mark Paradis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't even understand the reasoning for not having it open in the desktop app if you opened it from there in the first place. I understand if you are viewing teams through a browser but why would I ever want to open another teams instance in a browser when I already have gone through installing and using it on my desktop

teams does not open in my browsers, whenever i get a link to a document, i have to try to read the url and then find the document on the files tab. the should be a way to type the url and the teams desktop app go to the file ou place the link is pointing to

• Steve Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installing Edge and setting it as the default browser is a possible workaround. Not suggesting for one second that MS have a hidden agenda to nudge anyone over the Edge ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm midway through a culture shift towards Teams and this particular issue is a clear block to engagement. Even an option to open the link in the app or a browser would be better than the current behaviour.

• Shawn Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a "browser not supported please try desktop app" message on my phone today. Well, duh. The app is on my phone. why not let a user send a link that actually opens it in the app. ;)

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the sense behind a desktop app when you have to go over web interface? This process destroys a lot of performance and therefore user acceptance. Please implement this as soon as possible.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base