How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Deploy Microsoft Teams over the network using GPO

Deploy Teams over the network to GPO setting that will launch the application only in the background mode.

145 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Frantz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Badly needed, when installing Office via Office Deployment Tool choosing to include Teams, every user now has a full screen takeover on login, (the teams client). I'd much prefer the option via GPO to set run on login and run in background. Having to cobble a login script to set openAsHidden as true, here's a very useful script I found. https://old.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/92mf93/anyone_using_teams_any_gpo_deployment_options_to/e3am4bb/

• CK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Managing Teams though GPO is a great feature, do we have that yet

Need this capability before completing and Enterprise rollout. Any update on this?

• Nez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen NOW!!! I can't believe this has been released without these controls. Who wants an huge Teams box opening up everytime you login? No-one! The ability to open in the background needs to be configurable by GPO.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plus one for this need of a GPO for Teams. In a non-persistent VDI environment, having a user change that configuration in the application settings is not an option.

• Loic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Eric Bostrom, all my users are asking to stop the auto start. If I do so , they will not have the notification and they will not use it. Please make a GPO capable to configure the start up option, and in our case with Background start!

• Tommy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we expect to see an admx template to control the client application?

• Eric Bostrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need GPO for auto-start in background. Users hate how in-your-face Teams is as it launches. They've asked me to disable auto-start, which means they won't be using it.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to deploy teams via GPO properly full stop, not just deploy an "installer" that is temperamental.

I concur, this NEEDS to be sorted out ASAP. We rolled it out to all PCs in the school and are now plagued with splash screens and VB errors. It's affecting lessons and the children's learning - unacceptable!

How about some ADMX templates like we have with Onedrive?

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to stop Teams from starting up automatically after installation. This is incredibly annoying.

• steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be great especially for shared meeting room devices that users can login as guest login for external perties

• Mike Dixson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with other comments, start app silenty, in systray.
    User adoption will be greater if it's not another thing to close on login that's in their way.

• Eric Bostrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switches to start the app silently, minimized or start to tray (background) would be greatly appreciated.

Teams offers a lot and I prefer it to sfb but my users don’t like waiting for it, particularly when it starts full-screen maximized with that blank purple page.

• Brantly Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to be able to deploy this to our user base and have a switch or a registry key or something to set it to run on start up but set behavior to run in background. Only because it's annoying on startup and for all our users to have to go in and set it manually is a lot of work and i'm positive we will get many calls because of it.

• Jean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to deploy the Microsoft Teams over the network and allow the application to run only in the background if we want to. We don’t want to go to each computer change the setting manually.

Feedback and Knowledge Base