How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Remember expand/collapse contact groups

The new contact list is now live and it has the option to expand and collapse contact groups. However when I restart teams the are all expanded again.

It would be better if Teams remembered when I collapse a group. then I can for example hide groups of contacts I don't use as often.

71 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andreas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add this.

It's really annoying to have to manually collapse them. I have too many contacts to just scroll through them all easily, which was the reason for creating groups in the first place.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do something about that, just started using Teams and the groups are unusable since they re-expand every time I leave the contacts list

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely should be persisted. It's a usability nightmare to have to re-collapse all the Groups every time you navigate away from the list. Especially when you have a large number of Groups and / or total contacts, as seems to be the case with many users here.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, the expected-usable behaviors in Teams are just not there yet.

• Renee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have so many groups with many people in them. I had been collapsing each group to find who I need faster but whenever I navigate away from the Contacts list and go back, all my groups are expanded again. This drives me crazy and almost makes Contacts unusable. Please give us the option to collapse and remember setting. Having the Recent tab collapse and remembered but not groups in Contacts is not helpful at all.

• Jonathan Cutting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started using Teams recently, and this was one of the first things I noticed. It's too bad this issue was raised in 2017 and no one from Microsoft has responded to it yet. The auto-expand is very annoying, since I have several user groups with many people in them.

• Peter Seitz. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - great that we finally have contact groups (just like other IM apps), but the inability to collapse all (and have that state remembered) is a real shortfall. And I would LOVE to eliminate the circles with letters or pictures to the left of each name & make the list 50% more compact. In a business environment, screen space is highly valued and I would appreciate if Teams reflected that better. The collapse all would be a step in that direction.

• Brandon Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish it were just when I restart Teams, but it also happens if I navigate away from the Chat tab at all. I generally live in one of my Teams, watching for Help Desk tickets rolling in, but then when I switch back to Chat, all my groups are expanded again.

• Scott Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue when going from Recent to Contacts on the Chat tab. Please remember the preferences or allow an expand/collapse all feature.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another example of a problem which would be fixed by simply having all view items remember their state.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop expanding the Suggested list automatically when i have collapsed it. It's really annoying!

Feedback and Knowledge Base