How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Remember expand/collapse contact groups

The new contact list is now live and it has the option to expand and collapse contact groups. However when I restart teams the are all expanded again.

It would be better if Teams remembered when I collapse a group. then I can for example hide groups of contacts I don't use as often.

183 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andreas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams chat may be the crappiest GUI I've ever seen for a chat application. Make it 1/2 as good as Skype for Business, and I'll look at it.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company just forced us onto this program. The auto expand is ridiculous. I have to have hundreds of contacts and all the groups expand every time?! This is horrible!

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started using Teams (coming off of Skype). This needs to be addressed.

Yes, this is highly annoying when you deal with as many contacts as we have at my company! Please make it so contacts can stay collapsed!

• Steve O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just changed from Skype to Teams and the first thing I noticed after adding Chat groups is that the default view is fully expanded groups. This is annoying at best. I'm with the rest of the commenters here...we should have a persistent setting that we choose.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments here. I used to Skype and before that Lync where the groups were not expanded or you could collapse them. Hopefully, Microsoft hears us!

• Craig Steinke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least a "collapse all" button... Very disheartening to see this has been an issue for a year already...

• Bruce Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on addressing this issue. Please make expansion/collapse a persistent state. It is very hard to find people or "stay in topic" when the groups are expanded fully every time you navigate to Teams Chat Contacts.

• Rob F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just been migrated to MS Teams from Skype and the contact list is awful. Too spread out, always expanded on start up and in alphabetical order. Surely it's not that hard to replicate what was in Skype?

• Megan Bishop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please fix this soon? When you have a lot of contact groups, its difficult to find a particular contact.

We were just "Forced" to switch from Skype to Teams. I also agree the default to be collapsed or have user choice on whether to expand or not.

Also it takes up WAY TOO MUCH SCREEN SPACE! I have to be running a lot of different applications and I do not have that kind of real estate to give away just for chat software.

Very annoying. If I could make the decision I would get rid of Teams for that reason alone. It almost seems like Microsoft goes out of their way to make users miserable sometimes.

I fully agree. With more than 25 people in each contact group, the whole structure becomes confusing.

• Tara Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree, we need the default to be collapsed and then the user can control what to expand and when. Having to collapse all the lists every time I go to the Contact list is frustrating and time consuming, as is scrolling through a list of over 100 contacts.

• Marcus Diddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted for this as well. I have a number of Contact Groups created per department to make it easier to find the people I need. I would prefer to keep them all collapses and expand them when needed. However they constantly expand themselves. It's not just when you restart Teams, you just have to merely navigate away from the Contacts tab and then go back, and they're all expanded again.

• a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree with this and resultant comments from others. Why have the ability to create individual Groups to keep things clean and tidy...when the end result is always having to close each of them to work on those you are currently using.

• Kerrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a significant inconvenience for those who have numerous Groups. It rather defeats the purpose of creating them in the first place.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base