How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Doesn't show Audio Call start, stop, and duration on Chat

For some reason Audio Calls stopped recording the start and stop times, as well as duration of the Audio Call, on the Chat window. There is no record whatsoever that we switched to Audio. I still run Windows 8, so maybe it's because you're trying to pull the plug on Windows 8? :)

49 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Reuben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Miss D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IN skype for business I used the conversation history in OUTLOOK to have the duration of all my calls ( I use this for my timesheets and billing)
        when I do a TEAMS meeting This information is lost : very BAD.....

• G.T. Hvidsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've also recently discovered this deficiency, which makes our billing much harder as I don't know exactly how long a call (initiated from a chat) lasted.

• Jesse Gildesgame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a HUGE deal for us. We need to track our time for client billings, and we can't see the duration of our calls in Microsoft Teams -- it's crazy. This is a BASIC feature in every single other video chat / calling app. It's a big enough deal that it affects whether we will continue using Teams or not.

• tekfranz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is technically a call but the call is initiated from a chat with an individual Teams user.
        So Warren if you were a member of my team I would start chatting with you. After several minutes we decide a Voice Call would be more appropriate so I call you. I click the phone icon in the chat and initiate the call. When we are finished we hangup the call.
        At this point we expect a Call Start Time, Stop Time and Duration to be recorded in the Chat. We do not see that however, so we are unable to determine the duration of the call.

Note: This behavior seems to happen only when one user calls another and not on a Scheduled Call or a Multi-user call.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can send a screen shot of what I mean, but I was messaging with someone, we switched to audio, then after the call, I asked a followup question. Looking back over the chat history, there is no record of the audio call...

• Kristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,
        There are several comments clarifying this needed feature. Another thing I would like to note is IF you have a Teams Meeting setup and you "join" the meeting through video or audio it does capture the time.

I mention this because this is also in the Chat option so it appears to work as desired through a meeting but not an individual chat.

• Reuben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren, I still have no such feature as Call History, or a Calls tab. It is in the Chat window, which is where the calls originate from.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,

The issue is that the start/end call is not shown in chat window. Before it was ....

We don't have calls tab available and we are using only calls within MS Teams.

Hope this helped.

Thank you
        - Jan

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is for call history for calls made from the Chat Tab.
        So if you are text chatting someone and you then decide to call them by clicking on the video call or audio call buttons. When the call has completed it does not show that start time, end time or duration. This is very important for those who have to keep records for timesheets or billing etc.

• Kristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your follow up. I have responded to your inquiry via email and included supporting screenshots. I look forward to an update

Hello Alex,
        This occurs when we do a one to one Voice Call from one Team Member to another. We have an in-call Timer but no summary at the end.

Also we have no Calls Tab visible, just the Chat Tab and the Chat Tab does not show history for one to one calls, neither does it show call duration.

One interesting point is that the Call Duration and History does work for a Team Call that is joined from a Calendar Appointment.

So the issue appears to be only with one to one calls in Teams.

• Reuben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First of all, I don't have a Calls tab, so maybe that would meet the need. I'm looking at the Chat window. Since my original post, I have noticed that when you have multiple people in the chat it does record at least the call ending time and duration. Sometimes it shows Call started and other times it doesn't, but that can be derived from the ending time and duration in those situations.

What would be really cool is to see who was on the call when it started, who joined when, and when they dropped out as well!!

I'll follow-up with an email with some screenshots.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex I don't have a calls tab on the left. I think what Reuben is seeing (and many of the others as well) is for calls within a chat between team members.

If Teams is to be a full replacement for Skype for Business & Support Business Unified Communications it needs to include the simplest of features, Call Timer, Call Duration & Call Logs.

• James Esh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this issue in Windows 10. I had a call and there is no record whatsoever that we called each other.

Feedback and Knowledge Base