How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Auto-start: Provide way for MSI installer to customize default setting

We use the MSI installer to deploy Teams in our organization. We would like all computers to have Teams, but do not want Teams to auto-start by default. We would like a way of installing such that the default setting for "Auto-start application" is turned off.

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MelQ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There have been numerous requests and votes in support of more control over this software. Either in the form of ADMX templates, registry keys, or installer options.

We have had absolutely NO feedback regarding what the future plans are over the past 18 moths. I see various other posts with the comments and voting closed with absolutely no explanation or indication of what is actually happening.

This puts our department in a very difficult position, as we were promoting the use of this, training and encouraging staff and pupils to create and utilise teams, but the lack of control over the app and how it runs in an enterprise environment is, frankly shocking.

Our organisation want to adopt teams, and have tried, but because of the above issues, we have had to remove the app until a more 'enterprise friendly' solution is adopted.

Yes, we do have the option of web access, but our department (and staff) would prefer to see teams as a seperate entity (particularly as we have enough browser-based applications as it is).

Please can you just make this so that it's available as an app to run, like word, Edge or most other on-demand applications? Not something that insists on splash screens, running on startup, installing to appdata for every user (thus making uninstallation much harder than it needs to be).

And for the love of Eris, please tell us if you're listening and plan to make any changes to this. Our department have no idea where we stand with this!

• J Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enterprises need to be able to control what happens at startup.

I've seen forum posts going 18 months back complaining about this. Please do a proper install in %programfiles% and give us ADMX or registry control.

Yes please. We are getting a lot of grief about this running at startup and find it hard to remove.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be good if the installer actually created a start menu object for the application. It would be even better if the MSI actually allowed you to remotely uninstall the application as well like you should be able to.

• Claude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of our global clients (60 000+ endpoints) also requires auto-start to be disabled during deployment.

• Ryan Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be great. I am not an admin but work with our sys admins and know they'd like to have that control also. I just had Teams installed this week, and have a mostly positive experience, but I'll be cussing it in no time if it annoys me. The auto-start with windows login is definitely annoying, if you don't want it to be doing that. And I don't!

It would be really great if we have an admin template to control the MS team settings via GPO.
    Auto start is a pain and their must be an option to control it.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 TEams and Yammer auto starting is a pain. A feature to start minimized using a GPO would be great.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

should deploy teams icon to desktop, but not actually start or launch teams in an interactive way.

Feedback and Knowledge Base