How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Audio and Video call on every browser

Now just Edge support audio and video calls. Making Teams work on all main browsers (IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) should be a priority . I need Teams to work with all my customers and I can't force them to install software on their machines.

94 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pierre Trudel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Works fine on Edge, but unavailable (greyed out) on other browsers. When changing User-Agent in Chrome to Edge it is also working fine in Chrome. Please Microsoft, start supporting Chrome and other browsers!

• Michal Kups commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're a large organization with 9K+ users of Office365/Azure services and SfB/Teams are essential to us.
        We'd like to make a full transition to Microsoft Teams as soon as possible, but the lack of in-browser support for Audio/Video/PSTN is a major roadblock for us.
        We operate a diverse environment with a variety of devices and requirements. Being able to deliver the full-feature experience in the browser would greatly help to drive the adoption of Teams.

Given the recently announced plan to rebuild Edge using Chromium as a base, I would image this is already in the works!

Please consider adding Audio/Video/PSTN support for major browsers.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We run RDS environments and the fat client gives us too much grief so we need to use the web client. However, Server 2016 doesn't have Edge browser so we have no video.
        I've started recommending clients look at non-MS collaboration tools because MS simply can't get their act together.

Is at least audio available in other browsers? I am not able to successfully establish an audio call using Chrome of Firefox

• Dwayne Alton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The team behind Microsoft Teams, and Office for that matter, have constantly shown that they are unable to build rich web applications. They favor fat clients with differing user experience across platforms.

They have also obviously intended to cripple the experience for Chrome users by not allowing video calling and screen sharing. When I asked about this in one of their AMAs, their response was that Chrome support is not a priority. This makes no sense, given that Chrome is the most popular browser. And even though they market Teams to education as their online classroom experience, they ignore the fact that almost 60% of device shipments to US K-12 institutions are Chromebooks.

The right path forward is to eliminate fat clients. Build progressive web apps that work on all platforms. Support WebRTC for communication and screen sharing. Stop crippling the product on competing platforms.

• Dwayne Alton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I asked the team during an AMA, they said supporting Chrome was not a priority. It is obvious that Microsoft is trying to cripple the experience for Chrome users.

• Kirk Vining commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft needs to get its act together on this, it just screwed up my whole roll out of Office 365. You want our business you better get this fixed.

• Mike Meluso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If compatibility for all browsers is a heavy lift, I suggest prioritizing Google Chrome support. Chrome has significant *********** on PC and Mac and even has a significant user base in the government. My main motivator is I want to use Teams externally with customers and collaborators without requiring them to download a client, as requirements like that tend to stunt adoption (I use the Teams desktop client myself, but I can't force my customers to download it just to meet with my company).

• Andrew Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. I need full browser support for teams otherwise I will never switch to office365 for my organization. Can we get an update to when we think this will be released?

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do a lot of external customer meetings and allowing customers to join meetings quickly would allow us better collaborate externally. Right now my senior team will not create Teams meetings for externals due to the experience.

This is the primary thing preventing us from getting rid of gotomeeting/webex. If you could get Chrome working with video calls, we'd be all in with Teams.

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a good product, in fact one one of the best since a long time from Micfosoft.

Adoption is linked to the number of plateform supported. And Browser base is a pretty BIG plaform. And Chrome is the dominant browser.

I can't control wich tools my customers use but IF I can use Teams to communicate with them it seem to me that Microsoft is winning.

So make teams work on every browser and you have a universal chat and communication tool. Something that Microsoft never achieved with Skype.

Feedback and Knowledge Base