How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Clear local cache button

Teams has a bunch of difference local caches and temp files that just continually grow forever in %appdata%\Microsoft\teams. It would be great to have a button that would wipe out all the local cache and temp files in this folder. Doing it manually has a very noticeable performance gain throughout teams.

As it stands, I'm going to write a powershell script to run on all the workstations I manage periodically to close teams and clean this up as a refresh of teams.

123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James M shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well better than a button would be that teams can clear/update it's cache automatically. But a button would be a start for this!

Support has recommended that we clear the cache to fix a bug with conversations not showing correctly for some users in some teams.

It would help to have a clear cache button rather than having to get our users to go into a series of directories to delete files.

This is a real problem. We have users whose cache grows to GBs. We also have roaming profiles on Citrix. The ginormous profiles cause no end of trouble. But it looks like the roaming Teams cache contains the user settings, so excluding the entire %appdata%\microsoft\teams would make our users very angry.

• Stephan Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this is still an issue all these months on. Did anyone ever find a permanent resolution? Otherwise, I really think this needs to be addressed at the root level. At least once a week I receive feedback from users in my organisation that they have opened up an old cached file where they cannot see the latest updates. The updates made in my organisation are frequent and and mostly to excel spreadsheets that are in the region of 30MB in size and I had thought the issue was linked to our work network slowing the syncing process but this isn't the case. I'm going to go down the powershell script route in the mean-time.

• Gregory Markow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ran into an issue. I was unable to see the 'Blue my background" option, nor were we seeing someone's phone number after an Azure AD synch. I even downloaded a new client.

Until... I logged off and logged back on with the same credentials!

Either Teams should automatically clear the Team cache, or there should be an option to do so.

This would be a real issue for 50,000 users!

• Gareth Ablett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also we recently had someone get married and only after clearing my cache manually does there name change in Teams, i don't want to do this to everyones machine in the company.

Either a button on better cacheing system completly

I also want to add my upvote in request of this facility because we have a limited amount of team and Microsoft teams are already taking a whopping 350 Mb in the main RAM!

• LutzHH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem should be taking at the root: Why do we need to clear a cache manually? We are having problems with people who are just not seeing some of the entries in a channel. Clearing the cache helps but this should NEVER be needed.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better to set the maximum size of the cache, and have Teams itself clear up older content.

Teams should also cache messages locally so that they don't take ages to load.

Feedback and Knowledge Base