How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add SMS capabilities

Add Texting Capabilities to Mobile numbers. Since Teams is becoming my phone and integrated with my Dynamics CRM ... it would be awesome to add SMS capabilities to mobile numbers in my contacts.

Not everyone wants to load the Teams client to their phone. This would be a huge customer support and sales feature.

106 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lowell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are considering switching to teams but need SMS capability. not sure why this basic functionality is not integrated?

It honestly makes sense to add sms integration since you are trying to stay away from your phone due to distractions.

• Joe Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Low expectations yield substandard results. No expectations yield no results.

I've lost some serious business because clients have sent me text messages that I never received. There's no excuse.

How many years? It's a phone. It needs behave like every other phone on the market at a minimum. Microsoft VOIP should have been fully integrated with Outlook with all of the benefits of any other phone a long, long time ago.

Further, all VOIP Powershell commands should have been integrated into Admin with a stupidproof setup a long time ago.

• Cory Hutchinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We love everything about Teams for most use cases but cannot switch over for on-call use cases without SMS support. Thanks! :)

• Tom Nohs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is a communications platform, it need the most used platform available to today, SMS.

• Lucas Cunha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is losing MASSIVE money to other UCaaS providers that offer SMS as part of their system. RingCentral for one is killing it (#1 UCaaS provider out there). As a Microsoft Partner and RingCentral Partner, a lot of my clients are losing interest for Microsoft as their telephony solution due to RingCentral and others having SMS capability. My company itself is currently using RingCentral and waiting to switch to Teams once SMS becomes a feature.

• Rocci Doria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me and my team to the list of folks below who haven't gone to Teams for a lack of SMS. We're a field service organization. We don't always have data.

• Sue Pflueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company is in need of SMS added to TEAMS to communicate with users within our network and guests outside of the network. It is imperative for us to communicate via SMS to all people.

• Sue Pflueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of a SMS feature in TEAMS is the only thing preventing our company from moving over to use of TEAMS. Can you please give me an idea of when and if SMS will be added? If you have plans to add it, what is the eta?

• Alan Nafziger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is stopping us from migrating from RingCentral - SMS and Fax capabilities are included with RC's plan. If you merely added them to any Teams user as part of the phone system (they would need a DID) it would be huge. No need to text people in the tenant - we have Teams chat for that. Just add the ability to SMS external people from our Teams (company) phone number (DID).

Our companhy is seriously considering moving over to TEAMS. The only feature we need before making this change is the feature SMS. Do you have plans to add this feature and when? Please respond as soon as possible.

• Michael Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A use case at our company is for a major Incident channel - in the event of an office evacuation, all staff/contractors who work on shift in that office should be notified on a generic platform (SMS) not to come to work. And staff/contractors in other offices need to know that another office is compromised. In this situation, we'd have a channel per office, and only mass emergency comms would be posted by an administrator - so all posts in those channels would be relayed to SMS.

• Tim Schoeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMS capability is huge. It should work just like chat in teams works currently. It could also have a separate section for SMS to segregate the 2 if needed. Important would be to allow for SMS functionality within call queues and auto attendants. Not just the phone number of the user.

• Ed MacConnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. Currently available with our CRM and MyRepChat. Considering onboarding to Teams for total Voip unified communications and this is an issue.

• DGC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would ideally like this to work in a fashion similar to Skype.

Where SMS can be sent and received through Teams.

From a business use case perspective, we want all of our business related communications to be presentable in an e-discovery case where needed. This collection of communications data would include SMS.

The imagined experience:

A customer sends an SMS to an employee. That message appears on the employee's Teams clients as a chat. The employee can reply to that chat communication via the Teams interface (from any end point). The customer will see the message come from the "cellular phone number" of the employee that they were attempting to reach.

This aligns with Teams for Telephony in general. Allowing administrators to associate cellular phone numbers to Teams users would be ideal so that the corporation can control what cellular numbers connect to the corporate user identities. Allowing it all to tie into the e-sim management features would be the ultimate end form.

Hello Everyone,

Can you please share more details on your use-cases for SMS ? How do you expect it to work ? what functionality would you like to have with SMS In/out app?

Please add this! Teams is now my primary phone number and people expect to be able to SMS to me. Plus I need to be able to text people from my Teams PSTN number without revealing my cell number.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base