How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Hide a user from Microsoft Teams

It would be very beneficial to be able to hide a user from showing as a Microsoft Teams user. Right now it is super confusing for users when old staff members whose mailboxes are still being used show in Microsoft Teams. There is currently no option to hide these users from showing as contacts in chats.

70 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Kubota shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Drew Thorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need to see this. We have robot accounts and other licensed users that are otherwise invisible, and confusing to our users.

• DOMCOM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to occasionally see a Microsoft product that is not an endless construction site and where the simplest basic settings are not available.

This unfinished stuff is just tedious.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are working with MS on deploying Teams in our organization and we just learned that there is a solution to this: we need to enable "Scoped Directory Search" and then hide the user's account in Exchange, or remove the mailbox altogether. Since neither of these scenarios appear in the Exchange GAL, Teams will also behave the same way. More information at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-scoped-directory-search

This feature is an absolute must, it just needs something like a tick box to hide ex-staff members, a bit like the "Hide from address lists" feature in exchange.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please could we have this feature,

We have administrative accounts we’d not want to show up within Teams and it makes the process ever more confusing when a member of staff are looking for an individual that may also have an administration account

I would also like this added. I have service accounts showing up in the chat list. I have noticed that even if they are not licensed for Teams, or anything, they still show up.

• Amber Harover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization also need this feature. We have service accounts and separate user accounts for administration purposes which we don't need to appear in Teams. In the case of the Admin accounts, we can't simply disable Teams on the licensing side as we do need to administrate Teams from those accounts.

• David Birks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, if it would be possible to hide or remove users it would be great. It's necessary for my org so people don't get messages on a unmonitored account

It would also be great to be able to remove users from the Admin Teams interface if possible. Thanks!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base