How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

hide general channel

Add the ability to hide the General channel (not rename/delete, as has already been declined)

64 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Terry Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The General Channel seems to be a default and can receive a lot of noise with membership updates, etc. Can we make the GC restricted to Owners/Admins only since they are the only ones who probably care about that? It would also drive the creation of new channels instead of using the GC.

• Luc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wouldn't the purpose of the default General channel be where all team members are auto following the channel for seeing posted updates (new channels etc) for the whole team to be made aware of? You'd think an "owner" channel would have been setup for logging activity and hidden from the rest of the team members if this is the nature of how its programmed. I think the general channel is still good for the whole team to communicate in, though, figured everyone would automatically be following to be made aware of any changes within the Team.

• Doug Staubach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like the General Channel s where the activity log is stored. - This information is good for owners, but not for members or visitors. - My recommendation is to allow the Owner to HIDE the General tab from certain groups (only show for owners, or hide from visitors, etc.)

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should we be able to hide it, what makes it a prerequisite in the first place? Discord and Slack don't force that nonsense!

• Travis Krick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I want to see updates to other channels when someone mentions the channel, but i don't want to General mentions. But since I can't opt out of General, I keep seeing some rando comment in General in my activity feed. Bleh!

• Denis.Molodtsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, having the default Channel name with a name "General" is not a great idea. We need the ability to at least hide it. Better yet - delete it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.