How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Integrate Presence in Outlook contacts from Teams

Whenever Team is running the presence should show on the Outlook contacts. When composing emails and adding users, it should show the presence of Team. It currently works only for skype for business.

477 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Keyur Shah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Yam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The presence status shows correctly only when we re-launch the Outlook. If someone change the presence status in Teams. THe outlook contact card still shows the previously status until we restart the Outlook.

It has to be fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any news on that ? my users doesn't want to move to Teams if the presence status doesn"t work well like previously with Skype

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still not working right for the coexistence modes (SfBwithTeamsCollab, etc.). The presence between Outlook, Skype and TEAMS is not consistent and, in Outlook specific, OWA and desktop, there's no status whatsoever displayed.

Anyway to apply "Register Teams as the chat app for Office" to all users? This is crucial during the move from SfB to Teams.

• Stace Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Register Teams as the chat app for Office (requires restarting Office applications) setting is great but would love a way to enable for everyone via reg or gpo.

• James O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Internal users now show presence, but federated users do not.
        (Federated users in other organizations also do not show their name, Title etc, cannot be voice called - tooltip says an extra license is needed, and can't be added to contacts). The product is not ready for organizations which used Lync / SfB with the outside world.

I have switched on the "Register Teams as the chat app for Office". In Outlook, when I click "Reply All with IM" button of an email thread. The Teams app show up and focus in the chat box with the sender. But the chat box doesn't include those people in the cc list. (So that is not "reply all").

Another than that, all seems good.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this is now fixed in 1809 Build 10827.20181 (Monthly Channel)

• Bob Fronk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presence seems to be working as of today 10/30/18. A global switch would be nice, either in the Admin site or GPO.

I can see "Register Teams as the chat app for Office" in settings page of Teams desktop. My teams version is 1.1.00.28562 (64 bit). It was last updated on 30/10/2018.

Agree with Morten, it would be great to have it in the admin portal so we can set this as default for all users.

• Morten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is it working now - or are it just me...?

But if I can get the "Register Teams as the chat app for Office (requires restarting Office applications)" in the admin portal that I'll be happy.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is rolled out. We are on Outlook 2013 and running Teams in island mode and we see presence for contacts in Outlook. It is flaky and every so often you have to restart Outlook to bring presence back. There is a Teams client setting that has to be checked to show presence in Office apps.

• Chris S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please hurry up...having Skype and Teams is driving me nuts...if you are replacing one with the other you need like for like functionality

• Rob Sheppard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I set my account to TeamsOnly via PowerShell in our Office 365 tenant. A few days later, I opened Teams, and under settings, I had a new setting called 'Register Teams as the chat app for Office (requires restarting Office Applications)'. Which I selected, and closed/reopened Office. Presence is now working for Outlook for me.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base