How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Fun custom status features

Ability to enter a custom status like “working from home” or “on vacation” or “out sick” with fun icons to go along with the status.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ethan Jacobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help a great deal in knowing how to interact with team members, and when to expect them back online.

• Gabrielle Guillen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to being fun, it also serves a business purpose: e.g., telling people where you are within the building if you're not in your usual workspace but are reachable. You can also give more nuanced insight into your availability: for instance, you might not be as extreme as "do not disturb", but you're in the zone and would prefer not to be interrupted--and with custom statuses (and emojis!) you could communicate that.

• Eric Heins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to create Custom Status is an important one especially when using TEAMS on the PC versus Mobile. There should be an ability to create multiple custom status...

• Janet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype was much better than Teams in multiple areas, including the ability to add a custom status. Please add in Teams so we don't have to go backwards as much as we currently are with Teams.

• J J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for custom status. our team works remotely and use having this feature would seal the deal for us to move our primary chat app to teams since we'd be able to get rid of our current in/out board

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree +1 for custom status (care less about emojis/emoticons). For those of us that work from various locations it's nice to be able for our team to know if we're onsite or working remote, that's generally how I used the custom status in S4B before.

Yuck. Fun is a matter of opinion, and one persons fun may well be another persons annoying. Just make it so that we can turn off the automatic status changes before you go about doing something that adds no actual value to the product...

• Carl Jagerski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom Statuses are one of the top 5 features we need desperately now the SfB has been ripped from us by Microsoft. I came in one day and that functionality was gone and not replaced in Teams.
        We need unlimited custom statuses with inactivity timeout and easy editing. It seems like such an easy thing to do. Why wait until the last minute. Please, Please, Please!

• JR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES Absolutely, this would be a great feature to have!

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom statuses are available in every other IM app I've used. However, I don't think the "fun icons" are important. My vote is for custom statuses with or without icons ;)

• Dana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to set a custom status to tell my team exactly what I am working on

We have a client that is being forced into Teams by Office 365, and they are quite upset and mostly because of the lack of custom statuses.

PLEASE add more to the status options! I need lunch/dinner, out sick, in a meeting, sharing my screen, DND, PTO, on vacation, call my cell, and a whole host of others! Allowing for some customization would be ideal.

• Carrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The custom status feature in Skype made up a large part of our company culture. We are entirely virtual and we could feel like we were together.

• Jenna Large commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for statuses in Teams. It's really helpful in a virtual team environment!

• Absoblogginlutely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this extensively with Skype4Business to update my status with what I am working on, whether I am on lunch, away for a break etc.
        A Powershell script automatically grabs the client and subject of a helpdesk ticket and then updates my Skype4Business status.
        The lack of this status in Teams prevents us really adopting Teams as our primary messaging.

Our entire team is remote and most of us also work across two locations. This functionality is critical to our workflow and team dynamic.

This is actually extremely important for us. We work remotely and need to know if someone has stepped away or is on vacation or is running an errand or is having internet issues, etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base