How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Microsoft Teams download banner / popup needs to be removed

When a user in the Office 365 environment wants to use the web version http://teams.microsoft.com, a popup message is visible at the upper area with a prompt to install the client version:
“Want an even faster, more collaborative experience? Download the desktop app.” By several given security compliance requirements in big IT environments, the users shouldn’t be able to install any additional software at their PCs. This popup is confusing the web-only Teams user and also it makes the software deployment team nervous.

143 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carsten Eberhard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, in a VDI environment when a URL is published to Citrx then that it impacts the user experience to click an additional screen especially when the SSO has already authenticated the user. Please can this be removed and/or amended that an admin can script it so it can be accepted or remembered. This will be a barrier to user acceptance for Teams on Citrix for us.

• Daniel Neto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very annoying and play against the adoption of the product in our company.

Everybody knows, the application is impracticable on VDI Environment or Large Deployments, so our solution is use the Web Application, but with banner, everyone just close the screen.

• Ron Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My workshop is trialing Microsoft Teams. I'm frustrated that I have to click past this screen every day. "Remember My Choice" buttons are ubiquitous. The fact that a company like Microsoft hasn't put one here makes it feel like they are being deliberately pushy about their Windows app. And it might not even have been a deliberate choice, but I still feel slightly angry every time. I told you 'no' yesterday, web page! :D

be good to see the back of that unnecessary pop-up....definitely should be an admin-configurable option

• Sylvester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For VDI environments, this is a must. The Desktop App is too heavy and the Web App keeps on prompting for the Desktop App. We need to be able to set /configure this for users.

• Dix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote - as the Web app is currently the best option for non-persistent VDIs, making our users click skip every time will further degrade the user experience as compared to the desktop app.

A simple solution would be to have a URL that just takes you straight to the login for Teams

• bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, the lack of admin functionality is making it very hard to deal with in VDI environments and will make it very hard to recommend to clients

• Matt Schultz [BCBSNE] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really helpful to be able to pass a URL parameter (something like ?skipdownload=true) to selectively bypass this for those trying to use it in VDI or other managed scenarios.

• Matt Schultz [BCBSNE] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another +1 from someone trying to use Teams in a VDI environment. We're plugging away at making the client work despite it being a per-user install and incredibly memory hungry, so this pretty much eliminates using the web client as a workaround/substitute.

I agree.
    Has the banner been deleted from the Teams on browser, recently ?
    And I hope to remove from the profile menu!!

• LJ Tenison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree. We need an admin setting to disable the download banner ad and link for some environments that want to focus users on the web version only.

We’re having resource issues when we try to install and use Teams and Skype on Citrix servers. They use significant resources, and the web version of Teams always prompts a user to download a full version, something that isn’t feasible in our Citrix environment.

• Lilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I have operators who will be soon using it to replace VDI environment so it's helpful to have it there especially for first time users. Perhaps it could be moved to the side or somewhere under profile?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.