How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rethink Guest Access

Switching 'tenants" is impractical for most business uses. Your average CEO, or hourly employee, is not going to remember to switch accounts to see negotiations. The fact that you can't see notifications seemlessly from one account is why you need to rethink the guest access layout.

It would better to see all notifications AND ANSWER THEM from your 'main' account. Not after you switch to your guest account. Efficient communication is thrown to the wayside with the current guest access setup. To me, guest access is useless.

77 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

N shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wholeheartedly agree on this.

Use Case: I was at Ignite this week and a part of an Ignite Teams group. Switching the context to the other org (ex. Contoso), I get the notifications and ease of use for Contoso, but not my business Teams. I lose complete visibility to it unless I switch back to it.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guest access in Teams has become a nightmare for our company. We are project-based and work extensively with external partners - and we have no idea what system they use, so when they already have Exchange online and nothing else, Teams will not work. Guest access for Teams either must work with almost any invited user, or be turned off completely. This half-way, might or might-not work Teams guest access is killing adoption among our 250+ employees.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

gravescj2018 commented from docs.microsoft.com

Step 3 says "The guest receives a welcome email from the team owner, with information about the team and what to expect now that they're a member. Guest users who have an email address that belongs to an Azure Active Directory or Office 365 work or school account can accept the invitation directly."

There is a serious problem when the organisation has only part adopted Office 365. This is happening with some UK universities where students have an Office 365 email account and ID but staff have an "on premise" exchange email account.

Trying to add these staff members as guests to a "Teams" set-up at another institution which has fully adopted Office 365 - is very difficult. Currently the advice from Microsoft Partners seems to be go and create a Gmail account - use that as your guest access method and get the gmail account to forward all your email from teams to your institutional account. Current GDPR ethos makes using a consumer account problematic in various instances.

Microsoft needs to find a way round disenfranchising potential guests that operate in an environment which is completely Microsoft licensed but which blocks them from being a guest because their exchange email address is blocked from becoming a "Microsoft account"

Feedback and Knowledge Base