How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

More obtrusive notification sounds

Notification sounds are not obtrusive enough. The current notification sound scheme is barely audible even when actively using my computer. As someone who is on-call and occasionally receives critical messages via chat, I need notifications to be audible and identifiable from a distance. Either change the default notification sounds to something more audible or provide the ability to customize sound scheme and volume.

119 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Willow Hunt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lisa R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Windows, Skype appeared as an application in the sounds control panel, and different events like call ended, incoming call, and incoming IM all could be configured with different WAVs. I would like the Teams client to do something similar.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally concur. Teams isn’t working for us because users don’t hear the notification. Really must have the ability for the user to choose the sound they want

• Jacob R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. I cannot even hear a sound and all of my srttings are correct. If Teams is going to be the future of Skype for Business, more sound options is a must. In Windows sounds, Skype has customizable sound options. It would be great if Teams did also.

I miss most direct chats in Teams because I never hear the sound notification. It should definitely be louder with an option to mute. I can never understand why Microsoft doesn't review popular applications like Slack and replicate features that make it so very popular. For those of us forced to use Teams please make it better. Please.

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. I only get messages infrequently over Teams, but when I do those messages need to be responded to immediately, and I miss at least 50% of them because the notifications are the weakest and least customizable of any communication application I have ever used.

Notification options such as sound selection and volume adjustment are basic and have been around since the 90s for a reason.

• Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have missed notifications and been late for meetings because the notifications are not bold enough to grab my attention, especially if I have my earphones plugged in to my docking station (which we all have working in an open environment). I need something that will illuminate longer and make a sound at the same time. I seriously don't like the way it is now, many of my colleagues agree. Outlook is better.

I'm a hearing impaired person and these notifications are barely audible to me, even on an hearing enhanced headset.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in an office where multiple people use Teams, when one person receives a notification, everyone in the office checks to see if it was their Teams making the noise. A custom sound notification option, would resolve this issue. Thank you.

My organization just moved to Teams and we pretty much all have this same beef.

Here, here! The current notifications are far too subtle. It hinders productivity and can be a source of friction between otherwise responsive team members. PLEASE provide an option to dial this up and/or change the sound to something much more noticeable.

• Andy Bonner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think perhaps audio notifications have been failing to fire if the Teams window is visible but not active? When using a multi-display setup, I often leave Teams visible even when focus is on another window, and would like to still hear the notification; I just went half an hour before glancing over and seeing someone had asked me a question.

• Jen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to choose what sound I hear when receiving a message.

• Gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams does not make a sound when someone posts something. This really needs to be fixed, all of our group members are missing messages because of lack of notifications.

• Doug Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be honest, the sound is too obtrusive if I happen to be wearing a headset.

Instead of spending all this effort on reinventing the wheel just use the built in sounds of the computer. If in windows or mobile I can customize as I need. Keep it simple please!

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Always give the user the choice.

I work in a quiet office and obtrusive notifications would be annoying. But many people work in much more noisy environments.

No one sound scheme will work for everyone, so allow customization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base