How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Improve API to navigate to team, tab, ...

We are building a custom application in Teams.

An end user opens up our application and:
- We offer the user to navigate to a team by building up the link (similar to 'Get link to team')
- When an end user clicks that link the browser opens up and asks if the link should be opened in the browser in the client application (see attachment)

It does not make sense to open up the link in the browser as we already have the client opened up.
The end user should to end up in the Team general channel the link points to (not in our app anymore).

Would be great to see improvements to:
- Navigate to any tab, team, channel,... a user has access to
- Open up a link in the correct context (browser or client app)

Cheers!

53 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yannick Reekmans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@marc lafleur I don't think your suggestion makes sense. Since we are in a Teams client (native, browser, mobile) we just expect a link to something (team, tab, app, channel, thread, etc) to open in the same place we are already working. Why should they first open a browser when the user has already decided where he wants to work?

• Marc LaFleur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally I would like to have the flow mimic the Office WOPI experience where initially it opens in a browser. The user is then presented with an option in a native client if one is installed. This would ensure a consistent user experience across products.

This should also be user configurable by URI scheme. For example, I would generally prefer channel and thread links to open in a browser. At the same time I would prefer tab and app links to default to the native client.

Feedback and Knowledge Base