How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Do not invite the whole team to a channel meeting

I saw a "Completed" story for this but that is FALSE. I scheduled a new meeting, picked a channel to mention it in, and invited the select people i wanted in it. It then proceeded to magically without my knowledge invite EVERYONE on our team which is a huge amount of people. We should be able to pick a room for the meeting to take place but not invite the whole team! If i want the whole team there i'll add them as participants!!

121 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Luca Gabrielli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to the others comments.

The correct behavior should be to add the full group during the calendar invite creation (thus suggesting that should be a full group meeting) but allowing to DESELECT it if you just want to have a meeting with restricted members keeping the meeting outcome in a channel discussion - so nobody misses relevant notes. Phillip below summarized it correctly.

Please change this behavior - I have groups with over 20 people and I CANNOT use this feature anymore .... it is too annoying. (originally TEAMS was allowing to choose if I want to add the whole team - and that was the correct way).

• Philip Salibello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous. You can't take relevant notes unless you're in a Channel. If I want to invite the whole Team, I'll invite the whole team.

This issue is not about emailing/notifications.

• Greg Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had the same thing happen to me with Teams. Created the meeting, added location and specific individuals and it added EVERYONE when I added the channel. I really wish the channels would function more like focus groups within a larger group. I thought that was what the spirit of what channels were supposed to be for but the functionality does not seem that way.

• JH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. Entire Team gets an invite, when they only want to invite certain people (or Channel). I understand that Teams is connected to O365 Groups and the invite is going through the group. The only workaround so far is to go into Outlook via O365 and disable all notifications for that group (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/skypehybridguy/2018/01/06/why-do-i-receive-invites-to-channel-meetings-in-microsoft-teams-mystery-solved/)

Not ideal, but it would be great if that setting could be changed globally rather than tell 106 users to do that.

• Panu Vartiainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There seems to be a problem, that if you're following a group (with the same name as the team in MS Teams) in MS Outlook, then you will get all the calendar invitations created in Teams, whether or not you're following the MS Teams channel whose meeting it is. As a workaround, unfollowing the group in MS Outlook seems to help, at least in my case.

That said, I was still receiving phantom emails from a channel's meeting that I'm not following on MS Teams (after unfollowing the MS Teams Group in MS Outlook), whenever they changed the meeting invitation. Perhaps I had declined the original meeting and got to the recipient list like that.

If other voters in this topic have the same issue that I had (following the group in MS Outlook causing the issue), it could be reformulated a bit, to cover the Outlook / Teams interplay in this case. In End-to-End scenario, I might want to follow a MS Teams group in Outlook (to see in my inbox what's happening), but not to automatically inject calendar invitations to my calendar, at least from from channels that I don't follow.

• Jacob Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely experiencing the same very annoying issue... Was looking here for someone else reporting it and am quite surprised this one has not more votes or comments but guess the meeting feature in channels are not that much used yet.

@Microsoft would you please comment this one? As long as it is not possible to exclude an invite to be sent to all team members it is more or less impossible for us to meet in a channel...

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal-breaker for us. We will have to postpone enabling TEAMS if this kinds of inconsistency isn't eliminated ASAP.

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's what I've experienced. If I'm not just missing a subtle setting or procedure, this needs to be fixed. VERY confusing and misleading and wrong.

TEAMS->Meetings->Schedule a new meeting does not show the checkbox to allow you to choose NOT to invite all members of the Team. It does show the option to select a Channel. This will send an invitation to anyone who has Favorited and/or Followed (can't tell which yet) even if you don't need them to attend. The only way to control this, I think, is to not associate the meeting with a Channel (which seem counter-productive and counter-intuitive), leave that options blank, and just invite each person individually. BUT!!!! The meeting does not appear on the GROUP calendar! Only in my personal calendar. ARGH!

If I open the GROUP calendar via Outlook, I DO see the checkbox and it will allow me to uncheck it (as long as no individuals have been invited yet) BUT AS SOON AS I INVITE AND INDIVIDUAL, THE CHECK IS RE-INSERTED INTO THE BOX, and the box is disabled so that I cannot remove it! Which means that all members of the group are invited no matter what I do. I even invited someone that is not a member of the GROUP (interesting in itself....) and it still re-checked the box and disabled it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another way of look at this, is the following:

If everyone on the team is going to get invited to a channel meeting, what is the point of being able to specify a channel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an extremely valuable feature to have a channel meeting just be for followers of a channel rather than the entire team.

I don't know if this is a typical use case, but we have a program setup in teams as a team. We have squads and chapters (see Spotify Model) which exists as channels within the MS-Teams team. If a chapter wants to meet, it doesn't make sense for everyone on the team to get invited. However, if this worked, if would enable people to follow a team if they were actually interested in attending channel meetings.

Another way of looking at this is if I am not interested in following a channel, why would I want to attend a meeting of that channel?

• John Deery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really bothersome especially in light of the fact that you can specify a list of people to invite, but then Teams just stomps all over that by inviting the larger group anyway. That list should act as an override and only use the given list of people (although anyone could still join if they came to the channel and clicked "Join Meeting")

• Ilia Gourianov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. The Teams' own calendar view is lying about it. It lists me as organizer and only shows people I invited (which is correct, but not true).

If I open the same meeting in Outlook, it will show the team email as organizer, and everyone on the team will be invited.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.