How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Reduce Memory Usage

Microsoft Teams is currently the most RAM consuming application on my Windows 7 Professional Laptop. I would expect there is room for improvement.

102 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Gauthier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same issue. There is no way to just 'delete' chat history, so it uses about 60% of my machine resources, growing every day until it will fail.

The advice is to just '''go hunt down all the data in the cache and erase it"

Not good software management.

• kroonr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lately, and I say lately my computer has been sluggish after using Teams for video conferencing. Today because both Outlook and Teams had become unresponsive to mouse clicks and keystrokes I checked the Teams memory usage and it was at 459MB. We were planning on migrating to a Teams based contact center but the latest reviews about Teams being a memory hog and my own experience have caused me to raise a big red cautionary flag and expect we will either shelf the Teams based contact center idea or simply forego it altogether and look for something more stable.

The response from a Microsoft Agent/Moderator on answers.microsoft.com do not provide any confidence either that this issue will be resolved anytime soon and seriously, Microsoft expects users to go through all the steps listed below to free up Teams memory? Sounds to me like Microsoft knows what the problem is and how to fix it, just hasn't bothered to implement a solution.

"For your problem, I suggest you try to clear the caches of Teams and see if there is any improvement:

Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\teams Then delete the following files. As a side note, you can move the files to another place to avoid the data loss.

a. In Application Cache > Cache folder, delete all files in it.

b. In Blob_storage folder, delete all files.

c. In Cache folder, delete all files.

d. In databases folder, delete all files.

e. In GPUCache folder, delete all files.

f. In IndexedDB folder, delete the .db file.

g. In Local Storage folder, delete all files.

h. In tmp folder, delete all files."

Teams is an absolute memory pig. From startup on, it consumes more than Spotify, VMWare Player (assigned 6GB!), and even McAfee - COMBINED!!!

Seriously, this is a disaster. I should be able to at least use a computer with 12GB.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requires too much memory to install and takes up too much memory when running.

• HP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

none of the sub folders exist inside the mentioned folder (%appdata%\Microsoft\teams) but I was able to get rid of some cached files and turned out to be much better, just for a few days.

Is there a way to change/reduce the cache retention period ?

Yes it consumes 600Mb to a 1 Gb for me on an everyday basis, not counting the usage spike when meeting (audio) then it spikes even more.

• Drex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. It uses more memory in the background than any other app running. Is there a setting to limit its Memory use?

The Microsoft Teams application and Outlook uses uses most of my i5 CPU resource and a huge portion of the 8GB of ram on my laptop. This didn't happen before some update.

• Ryan O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We shouldn't have to vote on this as a feature. It is a bug, and fundamentally shows the software is not working.

• GPB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless Microsoft fix this issue, they can forget about Teams replacing Skype for Business!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.