How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create alias mention groups, or mention DLs like @here (Slack has this)

Can we @mention everyone in the team at once (group) instead of using @ for every single name?

Also, can we use a different first name than the system because people goes by different name?
It will help if we can copy and paste the @ mention for new conversation.

Basically, I'm looking to be able to create an "@" alias for different groups of people within a team.

Use Case:
We have a team with 3 designers, 2 mobile devs, 2 strategists, and 2 web devs. It would be nice to have the ability to set up tags like "@design" or "@strategy" that would notify the people added to that particular tag - rather than having to tag them all individually every time I have a design question.

341 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joseph Dunphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use case: team of 30 (tech folks, MD's, PharmD's, clinical editors, etc.) broken down out into 12 channels (projects/lines of business) would be far more effective if at the team-owner level you could define who gets notified when tagged no matter where the tagging took place (as long as those folks have access to the channel) -- even if team owners could customize who receives the @channel mention without requiring folks to follow the channel

Current workaround: build out your channels > have each of your members that you want to receive the notifications follow the channel > unless you want them to get notified of EVERY post then have them go in and turn off banner notifications for followed channels -- this makes it so they just receive the banner notification when someone uses the @channel mention

More context: when working with large amounts of less tech savvy individuals but they're crucial for business operations (like our larger Team with 182 members and 25 channels) having this level of control at the Team Owner level would greatly improve adoption and ease of effective communication.

• Lee Morfill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote from me please, this adds further channel/teams boundaries/complexity it seems when I could simply notify groups for specific purpose but others can still see content.

• Pablo Garfunkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted++

I have a 60+ members Team in various areas of Quote to Cash cycle (quoting, billing, fulfillment) and am looking to tag only the functional group that needs to address the issue.
    I initially thought this could be accomplished with @channel mentions but was disappointed to learn tagging channels notifies all members of Team.

• The_IT_G1rl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted! I could see us using this so that members of @Support get mentioned/alerted, rather than us having to list each of the members of support. This could be linked to email groups that are already created.

• Joacim Eldre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvoted! This is a great feature request, we have several teams where this feature is more or less required on several occasions daily. The users in these teams spend a lot of time mentioning singular users because of a lack of "alias" mentions or "distribution" mentions.

Please implement this or something similar. (:

• Akkaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes i definitely vote it.
    my scenario is - i hv 60+ members in a team, they are RegionalManagers, ZonalManagers, ProductManagers, etc. I want to @mention only a group so they only will be notified

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating common @ mention macros would be a great help. @here and @all serve a very particular purpose vs @Team or @channel. @here would message all available users in the channel whereas @all would surpass status and notify all members regardless of availability. This is good for when members sign off for the day but don't need to be pinged about lunch coming into the office or something.

Furthermore a custom @mention system i.e., @tier2 would be able to notify all people labeled under the "tier2" label and could be set to ignore presence as well. So that you can have a collaborative team with multiple groups that can be pinged from one mention.

HipChat has the former functionality natively and there are a good number of plugins that allow the latter. It's immensely useful especially in support focused teams.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@team or @ mention using the name of the channel and it will @ mention everyone in the channel, I believe.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Slack, @here a notification only to members of a chat/conversation that are active on the desktop. The idea is to notify team members who are physically present, without pinging absent members' cell phones.

• Gerrit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be way more intuitive for our team that writing @channelname

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is @team and @channel for this. You may need to turn them on in the Team's settings

• Skafloc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful. It's not the same as @mentioning a channel, since you don't have control over who is favoriting a channel.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base