How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create alias mention groups, or mention DLs like @here (Slack has this)

Can we @mention everyone in the team at once (group) instead of using @ for every single name?

Also, can we use a different first name than the system because people goes by different name?
It will help if we can copy and paste the @ mention for new conversation.

Basically, I'm looking to be able to create an "@" alias for different groups of people within a team.

Use Case:
We have a team with 3 designers, 2 mobile devs, 2 strategists, and 2 web devs. It would be nice to have the ability to set up tags like "@design" or "@strategy" that would notify the people added to that particular tag - rather than having to tag them all individually every time I have a design question.

156 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating common @ mention macros would be a great help. @here and @all serve a very particular purpose vs @Team or @channel. @here would message all available users in the channel whereas @all would surpass status and notify all members regardless of availability. This is good for when members sign off for the day but don't need to be pinged about lunch coming into the office or something.

Furthermore a custom @mention system i.e., @tier2 would be able to notify all people labeled under the "tier2" label and could be set to ignore presence as well. So that you can have a collaborative team with multiple groups that can be pinged from one mention.

HipChat has the former functionality natively and there are a good number of plugins that allow the latter. It's immensely useful especially in support focused teams.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@team or @ mention using the name of the channel and it will @ mention everyone in the channel, I believe.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Slack, @here a notification only to members of a chat/conversation that are active on the desktop. The idea is to notify team members who are physically present, without pinging absent members' cell phones.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is @team and @channel for this. You may need to turn them on in the Team's settings

• Skafloc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful. It's not the same as @mentioning a channel, since you don't have control over who is favoriting a channel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we @mention everyone in the team at once (group) instead of using @ for every single name?

Also, can we use a different first name than the system because people goes by different name?

It will help if we can copy and paste the @ mention for new conversation.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this with channels thou. Have a mobile dev and designers channel that those two groups favorite. Then you can just @channel mention in any other channel and it will mention anyone that is favoriting that channel.

• Randy Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know we can @ mention individuals and I know that posting into a conversation in a channel can notify members that have all notifications turned on, however if someone turns off generic notifications they may not see new messages in a channel until they go looking. Cisco Spark (Webex Teams) has the ability to mention all members by entering @all in the conversation. A nice touch for sure and would be a welcome addition to MICROSOFT Teams for sure.

• Anthony G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, you can tag just the channel name, but I assume these are custom groups that go across channels

• TK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For further clarification:
        I would expect that the admins of the team would have the ability to manage these alias groups, and this feature could live in the "Manage Team" settings window. under the "Members" tab.
        Also, people could belong to multiple aliases - and in a perfect world, you could add previously created aliases to other aliases.

For example, in the use case above assume we set up @mobile and @web for the different dev groups. It would be handy to then be able to create an @development alias and add both previously mentioned aliases to that new alias.

• Sheetal Thakur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scenario where you have added multiple DLs in a Team, we should have the capability to notify/call out a specific DL using @mention so that it goes to a sub group within Teams.

• Peter Linton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like a broadcast capability to communicate to all members of multiple Teams with a single message that posts to the General channel of those Teams. Obviously an admin level ID would be desirable for that.

Feedback and Knowledge Base