Delete Private Chat threads
This request is for the ability to completely delete a private chat thread. (Not hide/archive.)
Again, this was pulled out into its own topic because it is still under review and no decision has been made.
To recap what has already been completed from the other topic:
- Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
- Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
- The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).
- The ability to mute your private chat threads. (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).
This topic deserves consideration and separating out hot items is something we have often done. Please don't think of this as an attempt to diminish the ask, we know that many people want this.
Thank you for your understanding and feedback.
I’m happy to share that the team has started exploring designs for this feature.
The delete is so essential function!!! Should we delete Nadella first? what a joke....
When does the delete feature become available?
why does it take so long?
This is a feature that should have been a no brainer to include in the application. When do we expect this feature to be available?
The lack of this feature really limits the usefulness of the product. Unlike Skype, I am unable to send a message to someone without our prior conversation history showing. If Skype is now EOL, being superseded by Teams, I really do not understand how this feature was omitted.
Please get back to the basics so that the app maintains the functionality which migrating users are accustomed, or risk adoption rate issues. Within my organization, the product will not be endorsed until this request is addressed.
This feature needs to be added ASP! I mean it's a basic one pls fix this or this may cause the deleting the app for me and my whole TEAM!
Very weired that this "feature" is not available and has to be requested - since 3 years?
Why can't I simply be the master of my data?
Wish to get rid of MS Teams and would like to have Skype back!
This is really needed as we just ran into an issue that feel very related to this, we had an issues with a AD Account and a new account was made for the user ending with a "1". As the main issue was resolved with the AD account and it was recreated without the "1" teams did not seem to understand.
This resulted in that for all users that have had a conversation with the account ending with "1" cannot remove the chat history or the reference to this duplicate account.
So when you search in teams you can see two accounts for the same user and it cannot be deleted.
Extremely frustrating as this orphan account of course does not work and is completely gone in the O365 Admin Panel but still lingers in the teams app for all users that has touched this account.
For users that have not sent a message or had a conference with the orphan account they do not see this account when searching in teams so its almost like a cache thing.
About to set the entire Florida Dept of Transportation to work from home because of Covid 19 and I have to have this removed from 1000's of machines for lack of a basic feature. Regret putting this on the system already. Crazy.
news?!?!?? We are waiting for this feature, many users asking to us (IT dept) about this!
THANUJA GEORGE commented
My request about message deletion in MS teams are:
1. Deleted messages needs to go immediately. For a safety you can ask a confirmation message before deleting the message.
2. I want to delete received messages too. If any one send some stupid messages to me or in a chat, i need not want to see that messages in my phone or PC.What all things needs to show in my device is my privilege.
3. I need a provision to delete a complete conversation. Now it is not possible. The messages sent by me needs to remove from one by one and other side of messages needs to clear from that side. If that person is not removed then it will be visible in my wall
started in 2018
in 2020: "I’m happy to share that the team has started exploring designs for this feature."
finished in 2022? or never?
Once again big tech shows its police state dominance over our lives. The level of data collection of our every word and search is beyond invasive. I agree with the other comments and I will exercise my right to not use this. I'm guessing the idea was that if our companies and educational institutions adopt this for use that we have no choice but to use it. Wrong.
Kent Clayton commented
Why would deleting a chat NOT have been part of the original design?
This is more urgent now than ever before as entire workforces are brought into Teams out of necessity.
William Leon commented
Who was the smart team that designed this software??? For God's sake, FIX IT
I have a great design I'll give you for free so you can stop "exploring". Put a delete button, and then when you click said button, it deletes the chat.
It is just a human right. You have the right to be forgotten (facebook, msn etc..) so you also have the right that your conversations are forgotten. Just a matter of common decency!
Note that we cannot provide a “hard delete” due to e Discovery and other legal reasons ??
why then all the others provide such functionality ?
another Microsoft useless ****
Note that we cannot provide a “hard delete” due to eDiscovery and other legal reasons.
Pathetic. Microsoft has no taste or sophistication