How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Delete Private Chat threads

This request is for the ability to completely delete a private chat thread. (Not hide/archive.)

Again, this was pulled out into its own topic because it is still under review and no decision has been made.

To recap what has already been completed from the other topic:

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
2. Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
3. The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).
4. The ability to mute your private chat threads. (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).

This topic deserves consideration and separating out hot items is something we have often done. Please don't think of this as an attempt to diminish the ask, we know that many people want this.

Thank you for your understanding and feedback.
-Warren

1,085 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mr Bancroft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please just enable front-end deletion. As a teacher using Teams for Schools, this becomes even more important, yes I need evidence of student-teacher and student-student interaction but I do not need it cluttering up the chat and relying on me to manually hide it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will you please implement this. It's ridiculous that you don't.
        Microsoft are so behind literally every competitor

• Charles Charlton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra. Hiding is not deleting, so the "try this" only works for that use case. Only providing a "Hide" option violates a user's ability to delete a chat/data and could potentially violate GDPR. Also, it is confusing you provide a hide option when you can pin/un-pin conversations. I would presume you should ditch hide, replace it with delete, and keep pinned/unpinned and assume anyone who previously needed "Hide" can just leave conversations un-pinned.

• Arun Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are waiting for the option to delete one to one private chat conversation, i hope Microsoft team are working on it.

Honestly that excuse is kinda nonsensical. Nobody would ask for a feature to permanently delete a chat from the backend. The issue is your application becomes unstable whenever a chat history gets too long. There are moments where the app is literally unusable because it is trying to load too many messages. I see you have attempted to do an easy fix for this by only loading a select amount of history, but this has been hit or miss.

• Julian Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The excuses given about eDiscovery and unspecified "legal" reasons are specious in the extreme.

eDiscovery would be covered by the use of the standard "trash" facilities - putting the data into a hidden bin for a set amount of time. It would also be covered by the fact that you would only be deleting YOUR COPY of a conversation, it would be up to the other person to also delete their copy if you wanted it totally gone. This is absolutely standard.

Legal hold would cover all remaining legal requirements I would think.

What is more ridiculous is that you CAN delete INDIVIDUAL items in your own side of a conversation, but you cannot delete your copy of someone else's side of the conversation, nor can you delete a range of items.

What also isn't mentioned is data retention. Forcing data to be retained when it is no longer required or is no longer accurate is also against the law in many regions.

• Lidija commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hiding a Chat is not the same as deleting it - there are tons of useless chats my users have to scroll through to get to what they want to see. I agree that not providing a Delete due to eDiscovery is a cop-out. Users would prefer to see a clean desktop.

• TDG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using desktop app - Without the ability to delete, we are forced to wade through numerous "test" chats. It shows the early ones on top so have to scroll. Can't delete & muting, mutes the whole contact. Very confusing & messy...will stick to S4B for now thanks :(

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any chance that this will be reviewed again. I find the eDiscovery comment to be a cop out. Why do we have the ability to delete emails or whole threads in a Team? There is a real need to drop the tread from a users view. Retention can do whatever retention wants to do on the back end per organization.

Please don't write this off as fixed.

• Instant Messenger Junkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have about two hundred thousand lines of log in teams over some conversations with my cohorts. Is there a way to programmatically clean this out? Since it crashes systems when loading teams msgs

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have the ability to delete individual comments but not all!!!!!!
        Cop out that is

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only could this get people in real trouble, it is also completely ridiculous. Private chat is private, I don't want my ex boss to read it. Not just my messages, but also those that my colleagues trusted me with.

(EU citizen here, do I really have to file a formal GDPR removal request?)

This is ridiculous, In Skype for Business you can globally set not to capture any conversations. We have a legal requirement under the right to be forgotten in GDPR to remove information on request and indeed we have to justify why we are holding this information. I don't think saying we have no option because Microsoft say we can't delete it for "reasons" is going to cut it.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont really want to sit in a meeting sending a urgent query to a co-worker just showing the CEO of Contoso Ltd. how much we all love Gifs

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hiding isn't the same as deleting I want to delete conversations, same as I have always been able to do with Skype for Business and what is available in Slack. There is absolutely no reason to perpetually retain EVERY conversation indefinitely (Seriously , do we need to keep the conversation on where we go to lunch for a weekly team lunch?) This is nuts and frustrating the teams group is apparently deliberately ignoring this issue.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra your answer has to be a joke - hiding is not deleting! We need a delete feature NOW!

Are you joking? Deleting history due to eDiscovery - Please don't talk utter rubbish. At least state you cba to do it which is the correct interpretation

• Get with the times commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely and utterly ridiculous. This is hands down the WORST messaging softwear I have used since the inception of the internet in the 80's.

How is it, as time goes on softwear become LESS functional than it was 20+ years ago?

After several responses from ADMIN (over a 7 month period) that the request was under review this is what you come up with??!!

So 50 years from now when I am DEAD these messages will still be lingering here.

The ability to shred my personal information in real life and virtual is my fundamental right.

This softwear could also use serious improvement in several other areas. Custom sounds and not "disappearing" into the task bar if you don't immediately notice a message are 2 biggies.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base