How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Delete Private Chat threads

This request is for the ability to completely delete a private chat thread. (Not hide/archive.)

Again, this was pulled out into its own topic because it is still under review and no decision has been made.

To recap what has already been completed from the other topic:

1. Delete your own messages anywhere in Teams.
2. Team Owners can choose if users can edit/delete in their tenant as well as choose if admins have the power to delete any message posted in public channels.
3. The ability to hide your private chat threads (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).
4. The ability to mute your private chat threads. (these are not the chat threads in channels, but the private chat threads that appear when you click the Chat icon on the left-side app bar).

This topic deserves consideration and separating out hot items is something we have often done. Please don't think of this as an attempt to diminish the ask, we know that many people want this.

Thank you for your understanding and feedback.
-Warren

1,296 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Warren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey everyone! We have this already. Just click the ellipses next to the thread name and select “Hide”.

Note that we cannot provide a “hard delete” due to eDiscovery and other legal reasons.

Thanks,
    Suphatra

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • S Dogood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fairly simple there are some things that I now simply will NOT discuss in teams period. The soft delete is nonsense. If you don' t have a hard delete there is no reason PERIOD except that you do NOT want it in there.
        No legal reason, no e-discovery, you've made a design choice.
        Stop the excuses just tell the truth you don't want to add delete.

• Tomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are legal reasons to keep these messages, but there may also be leagal reason to delete these messages. If not by user, at least by management please.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current “hide” is not good enough - if I have a confidental discussion previously with someone and now someone is looking over my shoulder as I ask the same person an unrelated question, they will see they can see our most recent discussions - need to be able to have a chat without our previous chats showing on the screen

• Russ T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hiding a conversation is not deleting it. I suppose clicking on the contact again is another way of saying you undeleted or restored the message thread?

• R. Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a feature that allows users to delete an entire conversation or a selected thread of conversation. People don't use chat like email. Most of the conversations are inane-and-sometimes-non-work-related. You put in a meme generator for goodness sakes! Who wants to hold onto a dumb meme about Mondays they made forever?

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal reasons would exactly require to be able to delete messages, this is even a legal requirement of European legislation (GDPR). So cut the **** please.

• Angie McDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES - please add this feature...I do not want to save a private chat with a colleague saying I'm running late for a meeting.

• Anthony Adinolfi, CIO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, you don’t “have this already”. That’s like saying that minimizing a window is deleting a message. This is ridiculous and completely unacceptable. This could simply be an admin option (enable or disable users ability to delete chat threads), but you’re taking it out of our hands completely.

You need to allow businesses to create their own data retention policies, including Teams/chat.

We can do this in Exchange/Outlook, we can do this in Skype, we can do this in every app except for Teams and it’s bad policy and design on your part to think that we wouldn’t feel privacy is important in 2019.

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone here what’s to delete the ******* chat no one wants to hide it So ******** and ********* this app sucks

• Bernard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic functionality that exists in just about every other chat platform. Can you provide additional insight into the "legal reasons" that Microsoft must retain their customer's private chats?

• NoC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone here is wanting to delete the chat. Has anyone gave thought, that the other party needs to do the same, if you're wanting it not leaked? You can delete all you want, but if the other side, doesn't what good is this bickering for?

*NOTHING* is private when using company resources.

Yes I want the ability to delete chats. But my reasons are to delete chats with users that were 6-7 total back-n-forth. Not because they were private. I chat with users around the globe I don't need them top of my feed. Hiding does nothing but sweep it under he couch.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree the user should have the ability to delete chats as well as the call history. Hiding is not the same thing. Once someone sends something new the chat history is no longer hidden and the entire thread is there. And we should have the ability to delete previous calls. I’ve never come across this lack of ownership for my own account on any other platform. If it was not for my company I would have stopped using this app when I realized these limitations.

• JH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed, if a hold or eDiscovery is applied to an account then obviously you can't delete, but otherwise, private chats are private and should retain the ability to remove them just like emails, skype, and every other trusted chat application on the planet.

• BruceInByron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is now our company policy but I'm using it just to tell the "Team" to call me when you have a chance. Private is private and should never be retained. Useless product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need to delete private chats. Sometimes stupid things get said and we need to delete them. Also erroneous items should be delete.

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

eDiscovery and other legal reasons would also apply to Team channel conversations, but it's possible to delete those. What makes Private chat conversations different? Or for that matter email? As long as someone is not placed on an eDiscovery hold, they can delete whatever content they wish. It's the eDiscovery hold which prevents deletion - not the individual application policies. In fact, 'Teams messages' is already an option in the 'Create a new hold' wizard. I find it hard to understand how eDiscovery and doc retention prevents the deletion of Teams chat threads, but not Outlook mail?

(Also, hiding the chat thread would be acceptable if I had a clean slate when I started talking to that person again.)

• Bill R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be fine with the "hiding" option, but I'd like Teams to start a brand new conversation when I start talking to that person or group of people again.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base