How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Speech to text meeting notes

Using the technology of speech to text, have meetings record meeting notes in a text format based on what was spoken about in the meeting.

259 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Warren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Miro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! Just to provide a bit of info & context I got with great help from Microsoft (Ana, Michael & Michael – thanks! :-) )

- Functionality in essence does exist – MS Streams is accessible from MS Teams, and transcript functionality is part of MS Streams via Transcript Editor or via Captions file download.

- With help of internal MS experts, Service Request #119012219575752 was placed through which I tried to ask for Transcript editor to be able to do SelectAll/PasteAll – but response was that Transcript editor was not designed for that purpose

- As a separate request, there is also DCR # 28892 asking for transcript download (similar to captions file download, but without the need to filter out captions specific stuff but rather to get just recorded text)

- Of course, captions file can easily be used today (with a bit of filtering/sorting – you can get clear text… tried it - works)

- But – it seems major issue is audio quality and speech recognition engine itself (https://medius.studios.ms/Embed/Video/BRK3200?sid=BRK3200 ) . Basically, I did not succeed to get good enough quality of transcript that would serve as good enough transcription – or – that would serve at least as good enough basis for brief manual edit that can then produce good enough transcription … weird sentences, wrong words etc so it ended up rather me listening to recording one more time to write notes then to use/edit transcript

- situations when people dial-in instead of using app/data connection, different conference rooms with different mic quality, people making noise etc etc seem to limit real usage currently to slow speaking non-dialect non-complicated meetings of 2-3 people all connecting from their devices without dial-in and via headphones/mic. Of course, it might be that I just did not do enough testing or did not do it in a right way

So – looking forward to next MS Teams steps in making automated meeting notes taking really work!

• noBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using the recorder in interviews and like to convert the recorded speech to text for further processing/editing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely required and will bring more quality talks and will be useful to recall the discussion to the right Stakeholders to office meetings.

• Mark McGuire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a nice feature to have the transcription and audio/video recording in all versions. It's becoming a core feature in other platforms. Zoom Pro does this very well.

• Najah S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This something I've been hoping for since my team has started using MS Teams. Hopefully this get pulled from the backlog soon. I'm hearing impaired and attend a lot of meetings throughout the week (Sprint planning, Groomings, Daily Scrums, etc.)

It would be great to be able to also record meetings where everyone is in one boardroom, with AI being able to differentiate between users using voice recognition from one recording device, so that minutes can still be kept this way.

• Pavi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So critical in today's world - I cant believe it's not there already.

• Nathan Berger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already in the roadmap: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/03/12/microsoft-teams-turns-1-advances-vision-for-intelligent-communications/

Specifically: "Cloud recording—Will provide one-click meeting recordings with automatic transcription and timecoding, enabling all team members the ability to read captions, search within the conversation, and playback all or part of the meeting. In the future, it will also include facial recognition, so remarks can be attributed to specific meeting attendees."

• Matt B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please get this actioned and in place as it will generate more users of Microsoft teams. Thank yoy

• M K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to add Video/audio recording on Teams. Most of us use this

I heard at a recent MS Tech Summit that this feature is available. I must be incorrect. Is there a proposed release date for the video recording in teams?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base