Speech to text meeting notes
Using the technology of speech to text, have meetings record meeting notes in a text format based on what was spoken about in the meeting.
Hi! I’m happy to let you know this feature is actively being worked on. We’ll keep you posted!
Alex & The Teams team
Jonathan Freeman commented
Once you go into a recording on MS Stream and set the language for it to English it will build an audio caption file that is searchable and can be downloaded. It has a long way to go but it is far better than nothing. Getting the file to at least recognize different speakers and tag them via their connection to the meeting would be a huge upgrade.
AI to recognize individual voices in a board room would also be really cool but I'd place that behind just improving voice recognition in general. Presumably there is a learning process that is using the manual corrections made in streams by the users to basically crowd source the manual entry needed to help it improve accuracy.
I want to know the status is the feature live?
We operate a two language staff meeting (Spanish & English) - we would love to see text of each language translated live as conversations occur in Teams meetings - this may be a stretch to far but if there is any way for this to be done pease advise me. Thank you
is it live?
If yes please provide the user guide from where and how to use it
Looks like this feature is live. After I recorded a meeting I received text notes from the people talking along with the recording. However, the notes was about 40% accurate
Ken Ramroochsingh commented
Soon Smartnotation will be part of the MS Teams connectors list. We offer Speech to Text capturing of meeting notes (among other useful features for meeting minutes). Please take a look at https://www.smartnotation.com
Hello, a colleague recently used the Teams recording of a meeting to transcript. They were not using headsets. The transcript did not hear a word properly and transcribed it as a profanity. Any way for this Teams feature to prevent this?
Any updates on the progress of the issue
any update on this fro now?
I had a demo of this in the MS offices in Reading last week. Looked great (and did auto translate too). Hoping it's out really soon?
Catherine Pinto commented
Hi I have a significant hearing loss and have a need for real time speech to text to understand offshore colleagues with strong Indian accents. My company uses Microsoft Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams. Can I enable it in either of these? It looks like you said above a feature is being worked on for teams - is it real time? Does it use AI to recognize accented voices? Also if it is not in teams, is it in available in skype for business? I am desperate for this feature to be able to be successful in my job. Thank you!
Hi! Just to provide a bit of info & context I got with great help from Microsoft (Ana, Michael & Michael – thanks! :-) )
- Functionality in essence does exist – MS Streams is accessible from MS Teams, and transcript functionality is part of MS Streams via Transcript Editor or via Captions file download.
- With help of internal MS experts, Service Request #119012219575752 was placed through which I tried to ask for Transcript editor to be able to do SelectAll/PasteAll – but response was that Transcript editor was not designed for that purpose
- As a separate request, there is also DCR # 28892 asking for transcript download (similar to captions file download, but without the need to filter out captions specific stuff but rather to get just recorded text)
- Of course, captions file can easily be used today (with a bit of filtering/sorting – you can get clear text… tried it - works)
- But – it seems major issue is audio quality and speech recognition engine itself (https://medius.studios.ms/Embed/Video/BRK3200?sid=BRK3200 ) . Basically, I did not succeed to get good enough quality of transcript that would serve as good enough transcription – or – that would serve at least as good enough basis for brief manual edit that can then produce good enough transcription … weird sentences, wrong words etc so it ended up rather me listening to recording one more time to write notes then to use/edit transcript
- situations when people dial-in instead of using app/data connection, different conference rooms with different mic quality, people making noise etc etc seem to limit real usage currently to slow speaking non-dialect non-complicated meetings of 2-3 people all connecting from their devices without dial-in and via headphones/mic. Of course, it might be that I just did not do enough testing or did not do it in a right way
So – looking forward to next MS Teams steps in making automated meeting notes taking really work!
John Nuttall commented
This would be a very useful addition
We are using the recorder in interviews and like to convert the recorded speech to text for further processing/editing.
Eddie Jameson commented
Please make this a mobile/office 365 e utility. This could help so much with so many things.
Aaron Miller commented
When is speech to text meeting notes landing? It will be a game changer for many!
Matthew Day commented
Also would be nice for chat...
This is absolutely required and will bring more quality talks and will be useful to recall the discussion to the right Stakeholders to office meetings.
Mark McGuire commented
Would be a nice feature to have the transcription and audio/video recording in all versions. It's becoming a core feature in other platforms. Zoom Pro does this very well.
Najah S commented
This something I've been hoping for since my team has started using MS Teams. Hopefully this get pulled from the backlog soon. I'm hearing impaired and attend a lot of meetings throughout the week (Sprint planning, Groomings, Daily Scrums, etc.)