How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Channel or Team Notifications

Teams does not provide any notification when someone posts to a Team channel. We have people not realising that someone's said something in a channel because people expect to have a notification that this happens. No one constantly checks Teams to see if there has been any activity.

Could there be a banner notification at least on a "per-Team" basis telling us someone has posted something to one of our channels?

At a minimum, some kind of generic notification that activity has occurred within any one of your Teams would be useful.

144 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Doug M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack has an @here and @channel notification system that works incredibly well. Something like that would be great.I can "follow" the team on Teams, but rarely do i want to see EVERY notification that comes through. It is so helpful to be able to blast the team or channel with something important, and other wise mention those who need to be mentioned. Having to @mention every person on our team in order to replicate @channel is tedious and frustrating. For our group that is currently deciding between Slack and Teams, this one thing more than anything else makes me lean towards Slack.

• Joel Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is not reliable as a communication system for teams if there is no way to be notified when someone tries to communicate with the team.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can it be that there is still no notification on message in a team channel?
    Please this is really a basic feature if you want to communicate in a fast and uncomplicated way....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a facility to follow the channel. This gives notifications in the activity tab

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming from Slack, the lack of something as basic as this feature makes Teams feel unusable.

I agree. Per channel basis for notification customization is and should be a no brainer.

100% This should be a priority feature. It kind of baffles me it wasn't a day 1 feature.

• Jean-Michel Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We receive alert emails into a Channel and Need the members to receice (individually) notifications of incoming emails.

It's difficult to get people onboard with teams when basic expected functionality like notifications are not working. And if you have ever used slack then it's even worse. Adoption is hard enough. Please don't make it harder.

We have exactly the same problem here in our Team.
    We're trying to use Teams as a Slack replacement so we can keep the microsoft env of our company, but, not being able to rely on notification make "team" in Teams useless.
    I can't watch all day the app to check if someone said something.
    Isn't it the basics of that kind of software ?

• Jacob Stamm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very frustrating shortcoming. I've created a Notifications channel for our dev team so that we can get notified when a pull request on our Git repo is submitted. But because there's no option to show a notification when the channel gets a message (simply making the channel name bold is NOT sufficient), it's useless. We have to continue to rely on email for these notifications now, which Teams is supposed to reduce our reliance on.

• Stéphane Grienenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a new channel is created within your Team, you neither get any notification, nor activity mentioned, except in the General channel, which even if followed, you don't get any active notification. So when a new channel is created, the creator HAS to @mention the Team to tell them about it.

Exactly the same problem here.
    We only use chat function, instead of channels, because there is no notification for channel messages.
    Now teams is just a simple chat tool, instead of a real alternative to #slack :(

Agree with everyone else. Notifications for Channels or Teams is a must have to make the service useful.

Teams could be SOOO much more if it is possible to manage the notifications per channel.
    We created a channel for planned maintenance on servers, but without notifications, we realised that no one actually sees it....

Teams is virtually useless without notifications. Come on Microsoft, please think through things at least a little bit before you push stuff out.

• Mike Loux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. Although thank you to Aakash for reminding me of the "follow" feature; something I apparently used to know but forgot along the way.

• Mitelman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No longer receiving notifications for team chats on my desktop, but do when I use my laptop and have verified that settings are the same. Several users on my team are experiencing the same issues.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base