How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Display Name

Please provide a more obvious signal to the Owner who is adding a guest - to designate the Display Name at the time of adding a Guest.

If you don't edit the guest account name (by clicking on that teeny-tiny little edit button on the guest's email address) before you click 'Add' - there is no way to edit the Guest's display name.

Gotta delete and re-add.

Would be nice for a little more signal to the owner that "Here is where you set the Guest's Display Name."

117 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Francis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dwayne Alton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the email address of the guest users is in my Outlook contacts, why not display that contact's name? Why would I need to edit it in AAD?

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a simple thing to update from within teams. Seems like a pretty simplistic thing to do especially since the ability exists to modify at the time of creation.

• Jacky L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, even edited the name in Azure Active Directory, name doesn't change in Teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I deleted the guest but when I try to re-add it still has her old name format saved in there and does not have the teeny tiny edit button option. Is there any way to make Teams forget the old guest?

• jeffwllms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So i just figure out. If you change the name in AAD or through the Office365 admin, you will need to log out and exit the app. Then when you log in it should be updated.

you need to do this for mobile as well. Anyway, it seems to be working for me know.

• jeffwllms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah even if you go through AAD it doesn't seem to update in Teams. seem to be a bug

• Seandski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our guest (clients) email addresses are initialized and not easily memorable - making it difficult to @mention them. Why is there no "Edit" display name?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Owners should have the ability to edit the Guest email address and other profile information for the guests on their Teams. If an error is made when the guest is added and admin must be engaged to delete the incorrect guest account so that it can be re-created correctly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base