How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Assigning a non-member to a task in planner adds them to the Team

If you assign a person a task in planner who isn't a member of the team, they automatically get added to the team. There is a message which says non-member but I don't think this is clear enough.

There should be another warning/pop up telling the user that if they assign a task to someone not on the team they will get added to the team. This is a security concern!

101 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Frank S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Sudnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to assign a task to someone outside of the team or to an organisational guest - and they would only be able to see / update their specific task. They would not see any of the other plan / team contents (e.g. members, documents, tasks, etc.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree, people should be able to be added to a specific plan and not the entire team, it just doesn't make sense.

• Roy F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to be clear, for anyone that gets alarmed by this (as I did); this only happens for those with priv to add members, assignment is restricted to current members if you don't have that priv. It happens as soon as someone is selected, even if you don't leave the task edit dialog with them selected. And there is no warning that the person selected is not a team member (as described in the original feedback post), so perhaps that has changed since te post was done.

The fact that non-priv members can't do this is a huge plus, but this is still a bad security hole. Microsoft should consider this a significant security bug, not a suggestion.

Suggestion: I like being able to add a member via task assignment, but it needs to require overt action, e.g. "You selected a non member; do you want to add them to the group and continue?"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, I am of the opinion that non-member should be allowed to be added to the Planner but not be added as a member (which Team does it automatically), or an option to add or not to add to the Team. This allows for the individual to access his/her own Planner and find the task listed there.

• Cécile MAYER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree, i do not know how it should behave but not giving the full membership to the group. I would personnally be happy with a task which becomes part of a “personal plan” (of the person who isn’t a member) and which can be updated by this person

• Sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, the user added to a task, is added to the O365 group. As described above, it is a security concern.

Feedback and Knowledge Base