How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make joining meetings by phone more intuitive

Over the years with SfB, I have seen users struggle when joining Skype audio conferences. Inevitably, they join both by phone and computer, causing feedback. I think the join process could be made much more intuitive for Teams by making just a few small changes to the meeting join workflow and making the process identical for both guests and hosts, using the client, browser or app.

When a user joins via the web or client, first present an option of which audio to join. I know this was available to a certain extent in SfB… but the verbiage can be confusing (more on this below). It needs to be much more plain and obvious.

1. Join using computer
2. Call Me / Dial Out
3. Dial In (then display the dial-in information)
4. Don’t join audio / I already dialed in

Regarding the confusing verbiage, I have had users dial in using the invite, then select the “Use Skype for Business (full audio and video experience)” option simply because they thought they needed to select that option to see the screen share.

Obviously, for any of the phone dial in options to work, they'll need to have the audio conference license applied. The meeting join workflow should adapt to accommodate those who do not have an audio conference license and omit all options to dial in/out.

12 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Nichols shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! The Join Meeting start page needs to provide all of the Audio options, including Dial In and Call me back. It assumes that I want to join by computer, which most users on my team want to join by phone. Its not clear at all. And I should be able to choose which audio option is my default choice, including my default "Call Back" number. Teams could make this experience much smoother with just a few simple changes like this.

• Michael Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add to this, I am trying to get my company away from join.me, and this is a feature that join.me has. Teams not having this feature is likely going to prevent a transition from happening. I am a Teams power user, and I got horrible feedback when I tried to dial-in with the phone for audio and view the screenshare with the computer just like our clients would. I can only imagine the chaos if the company's Teams skeptics encountered this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base