How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Spell check in muliple languge

It would be nice if it was possible to have the Teams desktop app in one languge and spell checking in multiple languge and at the same time customize date and time format.

E.g. I would like to have Teams in English, have spell checking in English and Danish, and have date and time format in "Danish".

278 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems Microsoft Teams was not created for people who use different languages on a daily basis.

I have my computer installed in German so my spell check is set to German. On a daily basis I mainly communicate in English and Swedish, occasionally German. Writing and having your whole sentences highlighted red is very annoying :) Hope they can apply multilingual spell check (or just add a setting to remove spell check to not have to see the red lines) asap. Preferably yesterday.

• A. Hô commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists in Skype for business. I expect the parity in Teams.

• Isaac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this, and the other thing about a customizable dictionary, something that even needs to be voted on? Chrome and Firefox both have customizable dictionaries. MS Office already has a customizable dictionary.

Yesterday, I saw a demo of MS Hololens in Teams (btw, Teams *doesn't know how to spell "Hololens"!*).

So you plan to program advanced Mixed Reality functionality into Team, yet you have a broken spell check (broken in that it's missing key features).

#priorities?

• Luca Mauri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolutely necessity for big organizations and multi-national Teams. As suggested, each channel should have a individually configurable language

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. We using corporate English display and app language. But user communicating in local language Czech and has also Czech keyboard and regional settings. Why Teams cannot leverage this the same way as other Windows apps?

• KevinGj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Former Microsoftee here. It's super simple to enable an option to disable proofing tools. Or better yet, respect the user settings on Windows (I have already disabled proofing everywhere). The experience right now is that EVERY WORD IS RED SQUIGGLED when I type in any language other than my OS language, which is very often. This has been a problem for over a year. The Ux impact is constant. The fix takes minutes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find Teams very lacking on this regard. Multiple language spell check support is a must have when you work in multicultural environments

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously - how hard can this be? It's not like it's a new feature in Microsoft products.

Many people like to use English as program/OS-langue. Then you want:

- Date/time/currency/spellchecking/etc SELECT-ABLE in MULTIPLE LANGUES/REGIONS

• Janne Kauppinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is still lacking multi language support for spell checking. We also don't have Finnish spell checking in Teams even though it can be found from some other Office products like Word.

• Simon Raihani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree one hundred percent!!

We operate in Central Europe and as in many other companies over here, we communicate with colleagues in two or three different languages and it is both annoying and confusing seeing all the squiggly red lines in the chat messages. Language should be detected automatically.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base