How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Spell check in muliple languge

It would be nice if it was possible to have the Teams desktop app in one languge and spell checking in multiple languge and at the same time customize date and time format.

E.g. I would like to have Teams in English, have spell checking in English and Danish, and have date and time format in "Danish".

212 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. We using corporate English display and app language. But user communicating in local language Czech and has also Czech keyboard and regional settings. Why Teams cannot leverage this the same way as other Windows apps?

• KevinGj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Former Microsoftee here. It's super simple to enable an option to disable proofing tools. Or better yet, respect the user settings on Windows (I have already disabled proofing everywhere). The experience right now is that EVERY WORD IS RED SQUIGGLED when I type in any language other than my OS language, which is very often. This has been a problem for over a year. The Ux impact is constant. The fix takes minutes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find Teams very lacking on this regard. Multiple language spell check support is a must have when you work in multicultural environments

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously - how hard can this be? It's not like it's a new feature in Microsoft products.

Many people like to use English as program/OS-langue. Then you want:

- Date/time/currency/spellchecking/etc SELECT-ABLE in MULTIPLE LANGUES/REGIONS

• Janne Kauppinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is still lacking multi language support for spell checking. We also don't have Finnish spell checking in Teams even though it can be found from some other Office products like Word.

• Simon Raihani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree one hundred percent!!

We operate in Central Europe and as in many other companies over here, we communicate with colleagues in two or three different languages and it is both annoying and confusing seeing all the squiggly red lines in the chat messages. Language should be detected automatically.

• Andreas Fährmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it possible to turn off spell checking. Spell check in multiple languages is no solution. In technical chats no dictionary knows which words are correct and which are misspelled. And red lines under terms that are written correctly are very annoying!

Please provide the possibility to turn off the automatic spell checking in the MS Teams app.

• Martin Felcman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One combobox setting needs to be split into muplitple:
        - UI Language
        - Spellcheck language
        - Datetime formats

• Uwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no response from MS for something so fundamental and in principle solved in other on-line tools???

• Edwin Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the possibility to disable spell checking. Many people find it distracting, some, including me, find it extremely distracting!

• Tomas Sandkvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yepp, same problem here. My company (ABB, huge, multinational corporation) uses US English as company language, but since I am Swedish, I use 24h clock. To get the calendar time right, I need to set the app language to Swedish, but all conversations will be in English, thus will the spell checker underline every word written...

Office has gone so far backward on international support for these basic elements!

• samuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It lacks the possibility to just disable spell checking. I don't need it at all, please add also a disable functionality.

• Jacob Carlborg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature to have for non-english speakers, especially in an international company. On macOS the operating system provides built-in spell checking for text fields. This supports multiple languages and is not tied to the language used for the UI.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base