How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

improve speed of scrolling up in chats

a ton of time is wasted waiting for chat text to appear then to find that its not what you were looking for

please preload more data or reduce the delay on loading the content like google hang outs does, its much smoother scrolling thru history

its difficult to navigate thru recent history when its all blocks

209 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

b shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The load times for older messages is actually much faster on the MS Teams website versus the desktop application. Can we please improve this in the desktop application

Thanks.

• Timothy Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This wouldn't be difficult to fix. Somewhere in the code or config you'd be choosing how many lines, messages or bytes of text is being cached locally, and it's probably hard coded to about 1KB, for fear perhaps that the user's computer will run our of memory (thanks) but meanwhile I look in the task manager and Teams is gobbling up 308MB.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps the tech behind teams isn't able to scale up to a few thousand lines of text so the Microsoft engineers have had to cap history at about 50 lines at a time. Sad.

• Gennadiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry for the second post, but I need scroll up now for 2018 June 18 and I very, very regret the time spent.

• Gennadiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll explain this. Generally I based on two versions of Skype (before and after). I have few big chats for few years of history. Windows OS time for time is reinstalling and local files are lost. The previous version of Skype gets sync data very quickly. Also, search in tons of images and texts in big chat worked quickly. Now, search doesn't work in a not synced area. I need spent hours to scroll up chat and after this only search will work. Last time I used version "before", but it now updates automatically and I cannot keep this on my computer. It's not good. Sync and search in not synced data need to fix.

• Felix Harbour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this is not fixed yet, this issue has been present since the software has been available. It makes the software very tedious to use when you look for something in particular in an old conversation (it's even worse if this conversation is a group with multiple messages in it.)

• Martin Skuta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the decisions behind, but the messages should be cached locally, why is it always loaded all over, I scroll up, takes 20 seconds to load the messages, I scroll back down it is loading the last messages! But, profile images are cached so much, that you have to relogin...to see any change, not even restart of an app refreshes the avatars. Please Microsoft fix it, in the current app layout, where you see 6 messages on 4k screen, the slow scrolling is a killer!

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you go far enough back in history, it basically hangs the app and it's quicker to just force kill it then try and scroll back to the present.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The history function is basically useless. When I search, it finds it quickly. When I select something in history, it is not only slow to show the history item, it basically crashes teams since now the conversation is at that point in the history and even just navigating the user interface is slow. I had to terminate the process and restart it to make it responsive again.

Yes, an option to save chat history locally to speed-up the scrolling might help a lot in terms of user experience.

Yes, please - add an option to save history locally (3 months cache) - it would make the scrolling much faster

• Justin Farrugia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like the time to search further back is exponential hence appearing as if the messages are kept in memory. If you want to get messages from 2 days ago, it's almost impossible. This could be easily avoided by recycling the current messages in view, loading only ~15 at a time.

Exactly this. This is such misguided design I can't believe my eyes. Are you saying we don't have computers powerful enough to store ... a few pages of text??

Please fix, cannot understand how this is supposed to be professional made application focused on businesses with issues like this.

• Cory Maddox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding my vote for this. We switched at work from Hangouts to Teams and this issue is an absolute killer. We have to regularly go back and look at previous messages up to half a year old, and this is a massive time sink just waiting for things to appear. Even looking at messages a week or two old takes a long time. This problem is NOT present in the Android version of the application, which performs significantly better and smoother than the Windows version.

• ProgentCT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's slow to the point that it crashes for me. I'm using Teams with an O365 tenant. I ran a search today, it took forever. Once I was able to view the results I tried to go back to my original conversation. It hung/crashed 3 times with error (from memory) 'that was a glitch, you're good to go now' or something like that.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree here. Scrolling back through the chat takes a long time, which is frustrating if you're looking for older content.

• Chris Wine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this. History is just too frustrating to think about trying to access right now.

• SamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more votes. History is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO painful to use at the moment. And it wouldn't matter so much if search wasn't so bad too. Whole word search is completely impractical.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base