How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Open a thread, replying... too confusing.

current typing design in team(group) chat has two function;

1.open thread
2. reply to a tread

currently it is too confusing if someone is to start a chat.
So my team members make mistake in this way very frequently;

Open a thread, enter
Then open another thread, enter(even if they wanted to reply to the thread that they have just opened)

Eventually, rather than having one thread and one reply to add comment, we have two separated thread..

This happens a lot... I mean, almost everybody is confusing where they are typing.

So, how about move typing focus to reply field, if someone tries to type something right away?

Or, making a checking field(Okay,cancle) if someone tries to open a thread.

Or do some redesign over the UI.

Please.

37 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

calvin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. There should be some that differentiates or makes more visible to the person who is trying to reply to a thread. The 'Type a new message' box is default and seen at all times, which is likely why new threads are always started.

Suggestions:
    -Make the Reply bold and bigger
    -Make the shading stand out. Currently a light grey, make a something more eye catching.
    - add verbiage in middle of 'Reply' bar stating to 'keep conversation threaded' or 'Reply here to continue chatting on this specific topic'.

• Thibault Durand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is a big issue and probably the issue that spawned this idea:
    https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16930585-drag-chat-messages-to-merge-them-into-one-reply-th

This is a recurring issue here. Even with experienced user, users aware of the problem and users willing to reply to the thread (me included) happen to create a new thread instead of replying to the existing one.
    As it is, the reply-GUI is confusing and that fact that this issue is widespread is proof of it.

Please fix, "reply to thread" and "create new thread" GUIs look too similar.

I don't know how you could fix this. One way could be to remove the "New thread" interface at the bottom and add a floating "+ Add" button in the bottom right corner.

Regards

• Shawn Eftink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps remove the "Start a new conversation..." at the bottom and put a "Start New Conversation" button at the top so users are more likely to reply to an existing thread. The "Start New Conversation" button might pop-up a box to type in also showing a different UX between the two activities.

• Matthew Gruendler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We experience this issue frequently. I would love an indication that you are not replying to the latest thread message if you are in the channel bar, or some clear indication of channel versus an inline reply.

• Jason Almeida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good one and we have the same issue. Essentially the new conversation bar needs a design tweak (more applicable for Channels instead of Chat) where it is collapsed, possibly to the bottom or right so that a user does not naturally click the box to respond.

This should hopefully make the reply button more obvious

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.