How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

383 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

zo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt Bowlby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this request. Please consider it seriously. We have years of documents organized in an intuitive and well-thought out folder structure. The "Files" tab just confuses the users. I would like to hide the files tab or redirect it to the folder of choice.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes to this.It is ridiculous that stuff is contained in a folder within a single library.

Sometimes we need to have tightly controlled document libraries, and having a default "files" tab that points to the default library is not helpful.

End users don't think about permissions, they just see the tab and think that the IT department put it there for them.

This is completely unacceptable, in my opinion.

I can't recommend "Teams" as a solution over vanilla SharePoint when stuff like this is dictated by M$

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have created a defined folder structure in Sharepoint that is accessible through Teams, so don't need the default Files tab, and it will be confusing. We should have the ability to hide or remove it.

• Jay Kramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote is for the ability to hide the files tab and/or at least be able to move it back in the list of tabs. We should be able to make any tab the default or primary tab in a channel. Why do the Conversations and Files tabs have to be the first two?

• Eric Bowser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability to block posting of files at all within particular Teams. For example, working with a Call Center at a pharmacy on Teams implementation and they need to prevent/control movement on files containing Protected Health Information.

• Tom Sheehan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, great idea, if you try to create a standard structure in SharePoint site and turn off "New Folder" option to No then it solves the issue of users/members being able to disrupt the folder structure, however anyone can add new folders via Teams Files tab and there is no way to block this apparently and therefore defeats the object, please give the option of removing Files tab or directing it to the SP Doc Library!

This is very important as we are using Egnyte for all our Filestorage (due to their great group sharing and 3rd party access features). I want to be able to hide the Files tab altogether or, even better, use it but with the Egnyte connector.

• Richard Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a small organization (<10). It's taken tremendous effort to consolidate all of our digital artifacts into a single library. Letting people scatter files all over the place defeats the purpose of having a centralized MS Team work site!

Not only add the ability to rename or hide the Files tab, but could we please have the option of pointing the Files tab on channels (other than General) to different document libraries within the same Team site? Use case: department needs custom metadata columns to manage certain types of documents (content types and document parts), not all content types apply to everything and they want to store different files by different content types in different libraries. Great to have new Channel create a folder in standard Documents library, just give us the option to redirect the Files tab in other channels to a different library if we want to - because having Files and Documents on the same channel is confusing.

Agree with the other posts. Not having the ability to hide or remove the Files tab from a channel is problematic. On our project team sites, we have one channel specifically set aside for storing files and people are storing files on other channels because we can't move or had the files tab.

• Amy Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we add channels, we find we need to be more descriptive plus they are in alphabetical order so we may want to rename for a certain order. Why allow an edit of the Channel name if it won't allow a rename of the SharePoint folder? I tried adding a new folder in SharePoint to connect to a new Document Library tab in the channel but we can only link to Documents or the Team, not to the specific channel. I'm out of ideas, especially since I can't create a new channel without losing the Conversations. Please rethink this!

I can't see any additional metadata columns in the Files tab, so please make it possible to remove this Files tab.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just add a directory called 'Shared Files From Teams', and have stuff go there

To make this application fittable for my organisation, you need choose the right tabs for the right purpose. This fixed template should be adaptable by hiding the tabs.

• John Arbuthnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally you should be able to configure where drag & dropped files are stored. Essentially the Files tab is hard-coding default behavior, if it were configurable that would solve this issue.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.