How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search bar location

The search/command bar in the middle of the very top of the window is not a very good location. Decades of UI/UX work to train users to click there to DRAG the window and now it's a giant search box. Perhaps the ability to move it to a different place or make it expandable if you want to would be nice. Or option to hide it. But right in the middle of the top of the window is a terrible place.

85 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Leaf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. I found this page because i was trying to figure out how to remove the search bar from its terrible location. huge inconvenience, and democracy should take precedence here.

• Bee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well you should definitely re-think it, because it's STUPID. and you're stupid if you think it's a good idea to put it there. you see everyone hates it right?? why would you insist to leave it there, it's not like it's a difficult change. the very LEAST you could do is move it right below the title bar.

• Nesli Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you update the search/command box on the top of the page so that we can not only search people by name but also by title?
    Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a miserable UI/UX choice and this issue should be re-opened. Remove the search bar from the title bar. Title bars are for titles, nothing else.

• James S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this was already declined - but it's *really* aggravating that when on the chat tab, searching first goes to messages. In S4B, there was a real-time search box immediately above the contacts. In Teams, the search box is separate, it does not filter in real-time, and requires an extra click to get to people search. In this regard, it was a downgrade from the S4B experience.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As revealed in https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19161262-do-not-disturb-unexpectedly-changes-to-available, it is possible to download a log file.

Within this log file is a setting called "enablePowerBar" which appears to be set to "true" by default. What happens if it is set to "false"?

Given that this option apparently already exists, it should be exposed to the user.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but this is simply wrong. No other application uses the title bar in this way.

Why not make it an option?

When we get multi-window compact mode, I hope that this will not appear on the separate conversation windows, which need to be easily moved and sized - something which this feature hinders.

• Sam... commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove the Search bar from the Title bar... Title bar is for Title... not for searching. This is a bad UI/UX decision.

If you really want it to be in the title bar... add a search icon.. which on click.. will expose the search box.. rather than the search box taking up the whole area.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not only difficult to move, but programs like Skype screensharing, Webex and Remote Desktop put hidden bar there which make it impossible to move.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely terrible location for the new search/command box. It ideally needs to be either incorporated into the Chat or alternatively a text box that can be accessed from a menu (e.g. on the side bar).

In any case the current position could not be more wrong.

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest issue with this changes is the lack of ability to customize the GUI. If people could place the search bar wherever they wanted then it doesn't matter so much what the default placement is.

• Steven Hibble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of putting it right above the flyout menu for chat/teams/meetings. Between the back/forward buttons and the current location. It's a smaller area, gets it off the center, and makes the field smaller (who needs that much space?).

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said, horrible idea. I instinctively go to grab the centre of the bar to move the window, like every other window.

• Thomas Martinsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Evert the space between the search bar and my profile picture is filled with a dropdown where I can select between different companies (which super extreme slow :))

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base