How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

URL shortener for Teams

When using the "get link" option in teams it would be better to have an embedded link shortener. Pasting the link in email looks terrible.

281 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rene Sanchez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is everything which is standard in other IM "under review" for years in teams??
        Seriously is it that broken that the dev team is snowed under with substantial fixes that these things cannot be added simply. Or is the architecture so poor that these things are very difficult to modify.

Even the web hooks integration between teams and Azure is broken. Try setting up a web hook between DevTest Labs shutdown notifications and teams. lol Who is managing this mess. Slack is your competitor and its killing teams. So many people in the organisations I'm working with want to avoid teams because of all this. Teams is a flash in the pan, wont last long, they have all the gear but no idea. Shame.

• Madhan Raj J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is the Url shortener coming, too difficult to work? or even better why cannot teams provide human readable Url with limited codifications?

• Tyler Jurgens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While relatively easy to adjust the displayed text for the link, most people don't do this leaving to a rather ugly communication that only gets worse the more links are added to that communication.
        A URL shortener would not take away the ability to adjust the displayed text, but also leave communications with less ugly links for those who do not take the time to adjust the displayed text. Win/Win.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy work around. Hover over the link pasted into the email; R-mouse click; Edit Hyperlink; In Text to Display - highlight all and change to a user friendly name.

• Clive Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be vg if URL shortener worked not only in MS's own apps ie Planner but also in other 3rd party apps like TRELLO & Slack. Files would stay in Teams within the firewall but could be integrated with the productivity tool(s) of choice.

• Mike Stach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pasting with Ctrl+K is a neat work-around for Teams, but more often I find myself wanting to copy in Teams and paste in SkypeForBusiness, which doesn't allow that particular method. Hopefully this makes the cut for Microsoft to give it attention.

• Faizee Bodha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. You can also use Control+K to add text to the link and the shortcut. It works like a charm! So copy the URL but instead of pasting with Cntrl+V, use Cntrl+k.

• Carlton Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since searching for public Team sites is not working, it is difficult to get the information out on where to find a Team site. Try adding these links to a PPT presentation...too complicated for someone to write it down.

• Vinodh Boopalan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example this what I typically get from colleagues "Sorry the link isn't working properly for XYZ, he can't figure it out. Can you attached the revised word document thanks"

• Vinodh Boopalan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! I can't believe how long the urls are ....its a real eyesore and error prone like mentioned in the other comment.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I think this should be automatic AND should be for any O365 capability that uses links (e.g., SharePoint). It's not just an aesthetic thing, either. Sometimes the links get broken up and they don't work as intended.

Feedback and Knowledge Base