Markdown support not all there
Wiki markdown is not complete in the Teams Wiki. I saw the post in this forum showing some limited support, but I really need full markdown support. This cheatsheet covers it pretty well: https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet.
I recall early versions of the SharePoint wiki. I believe it wasn't widely adopted because it didn't behave like a true wiki. A big part of that is markdown support. With markdown, writing and updating a wiki is fast. Without it, using a wiki is cumbersome.
Please just let me paste markdown in the wiki, it would me our lives so much easier. Add a markdown-source button for example.
Missing the ability to handle Wiki-like links and creation of new sites (like use double brackets to simply ink to a page - non-existing will be created automatically) prevents me from calling the Wiki really that way :-(
I'm about to lose my mind trying to format numbered list - there is apparently no way to continue the numbering sequence after a line break which is ridiculous
L White commented
The limitations of Wiki formatting are affecting user adoption in my company.
I agree with this because it hasn't been a very good editing experience for the wiki feature in Teams, which would otherwise be incredibly useful. I would use this feature a lot if the editing experience was implemented in the same way as the Azure DevOps Wiki.
Harrison Kiang commented
This stems from
which attempts to address the poor implementation of
really, Markdown support should adhere to RFC 7763/7764. Maybe a Twitter post to @MicrosoftTeams might get their attention: https://twitter.com/hkiang01/status/1067628231715667968
Ability to import and export markdown should definitely be supported.
Jimmy Bosse commented
the markdown support is _really_ basic. Like only as you are typing. I just pasted an entire wiki page from GitHub and *none* of it formatted.
It isn't usable, for the reasons you mentioned and many more like no proper markdown and no versioning. Still looking for other solutions.
Phil Spokas commented
The wiki that isn't... again...
Look at VSTS, they recently added wiki support and it works well.
There are so many issues with the wiki and no one seems to be voting. Is the Wiki feature not getting used? I assume there's instrumentation that indicates this.
- Dynamically create new pages when adding markdown links
- allow me to link to existing pages without a back and forth copy past
- link to existing content including files and tabs without back and forth copy paste (and removal of hands from keyboard)
- don't force me to use a pointing device to build up pages
- copy and paste anything any time (Sections are brutal!)
- collaborative edit has existed in google docs for how long? Seems this is brand new, yet sections are *locked* if someone else is editing. Stuff just doesn't work. I don't get a warning at least immediately... if two people are overwriting each others' stuff, so be it. Make it visible and collaborative... and occasionally fun.