How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Sub-Teams

Ability to have sub-teams within a larger team chat structure. These sub-teams should receive notifications on issues that pertain to them while the rest of the team can see the messages but should not be notified.

As an example, we have two teams(data management and tech support) that coordinate work together in a channel (support services team). When messages need to alert TS or DM but not both, there is no way to use @data management to notify only the relevant part of the team. We have to use @support services to get the attention of both.

49 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tina Pass shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thank you!  ·  Warren responded  · 

It sounds like you are asking for Private Channels which should release later this calendar year. You can follow the topic at: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16911079

A workaround, for the time being, would be to create a team “support services team” and have “data management” and “tech support” be their own channels.

Thank you for your feedback!
-Warren

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our use case is we have a large support channel. We'd like to call out team with messages, still allowing the rest of the people on the channel to see the message. Basically being able to call out multiple people easily with "@"

• Rene Watts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My use case for a sub-team would be for a Team that provides company wide support but also location level. I would like my Denver and NJ Teams to have their own site but there would be visibility rolled up from both teams to the company wide team site - especially for calendar items. Thanks!

• Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would want actual sub-teams so that I could put people in those sub-teams so they wouldn't get notifications or communication from the other sub-teams, but I would have the ability to make a file and choose to have it available and collaboratively editable by all sub-teams.

For instance, doing inventory at 30 locations. I want to give a list of what each location is missing, but don't need them all to be able to see them all. I want those localized in the interest of no clutter.
    I also want to make an excel Calendar, since you don't provide a good large collaborative calendar option, so they can all put when they're available for my visit and be able to see when another site has claimed a day or week. That would be more convenient than me emailing them a list constantly, or emailing back and forth individually with 30 different managers.

• ?Zach Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not looking for private channels, I am looking at linking team site, so that people are aware of their existence. My example is that I am a Program Manager and I have a Teams site for each of the projects. I need to be able to give my team (who are not ALWAYS involved in each project, but need awareness) the ability to at least see that the site exists.

• Chris Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me provide a simple example. I'm one of 4 regional sales managers within my company. I have a TEAM for my direct reports that we use for all sorts of communications and initiatives.

I report to the VP of Sales that might also want to broadcast to all the sales people in all regions.

This isn't a TEAM>Channel discussion because my TEAM has multiple channels depending on the topic, but a PARENT TEAM would accomodate the report structure without all the reports having to manage multiple locations for communications.

• Geraldine S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren, I don't think this request relates to private channels necessarily. The way I interpreted this request and reason why I voted is I would like to have the ability to create sub-channels nested under a parent channel to be able to break down conversations further.

• Harrison Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Debbie, private channels has nothing to do with what is being requested.

For example, we have a Software Engineering MS Team, and we have structural teams such as "Internal Services", "Frontend Services", etc. We need to be able to mention the structural teams in some way while within the MS Team.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to take this a little further, I am looking for a sub teams like function and here is the use case.
    Think of customers being the top level team that has the General channel for the customers topics. There would be channels for presales and postsales etc... The customers themselves would be a subteam so they have their own general and other topics channels but they inherit from the primary team. To me it aligns with the subsite function/concept in sharepoint

• Debbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A private channel is not what I would say is being requested. When creating conversations/chats, we have a way to refer to the entire team but it would be nice to be able to group people by sub-teams so that you don't have to spell out each individual person when a conversation refers to just a few people (or partial members of a team).

Feedback and Knowledge Base